Chapter Five - Confrontation

That night I couldn't sleep. I was good at blocking out my emotions, my feelings – brilliant at it actually. But with knowledge of how much danger I was in, I could practically feel Greg's eyes burning into me with their ferocity to burn me down. To destroy me.

He could try all he wanted; he wouldn't succeed.

I understood Greg's frosty exterior, his immediate hatred for me. I would be the same if someone, who I didn't pick, came into my camp. Nevertheless, his hatred gave me more confidence ironically. Strong emotions made you weak. Powerful emotions made you lose focus and a lack of focus could be deadly. Would be deadly, at least to Greg.

Jealous at the even breathing of Evelyn and Ruby beside me, fast asleep, I threw off my covers and stalked out of the room. I was still in my black leggings and dark blue t-shirt from the day before. I soundlessly shoved my feet into my boots beside my bed and creeped out of the room.

The corridors were dark apart from a few solar light lanterns. There was no-one awake, it felt like I was standing in a corridor of doors hiding dead people. Inevitably I would be, if the camp continued like this.

I travelled through to the entrance and followed my usual route into the defense area. An area which was beginning to feel more like home than my room did.

I flick on one of the fluorescent solar lights and let the moonlight from the overhead windows do the rest, the room visible in a subtle glow. I move rapidly down, my mind tired but my body raring to go. It always was, as a soldier I had to be able to withstand the worst of the worst.

My body came to a standstill at the bottom of the ramp when I heard footsteps behind me. I turned just in time to see the man who started this walking in with a relaxed expression.

Why wasn't he asleep?

I moved into the center of the room in silence and watched him with an unimpressed look as he stops in front of me.

"Good evening, Audrey." He smiles sarcastically.

I keep a straight face on. "No, it's not."

He laughs. "Fair enough. I would like to introduce myself since I'm the one who got you here."

"I'm waiting." I sigh, tapping my foot against the floor as I begin to list the circuit of what I'm going to do once he's gone in my head.

"I'm Leonardo. Everyone calls me Leo. I'm head of construction, although you already know that." He shrugs, sending me a small smile I don't return.

"Why are you here?" I question.

"Well, as a representative I'm kind of up-to date in the camp. Apparently, people don't think you're worth the trouble."

"Trust me, if anything I deserve praise over trouble."

He shakes his head before looking me in the eye. "Well, prove it then."

"What? Go to Oakwood and make them sing my praise?" I scoff, folding my arms across my chest.

"Fight me."

"Say that again."

He smirks, taking a step towards me. I don't take a step back - showing fear when I'm challenged would only spur him on.

"I'm saying, fight me. If you can win, I'll support you. Back you for a higher position."

"Why?"

"'Cause you're from the rival camp and you've got information that we need, information that we're not going to get if you're hiding and running away," he sighs, looking me straight in the eye. "I saw the canteen."