Chapter Seventeen - Preparation

This so called 'dance' was apparently a big deal within Marchwood. A hum arrived in the air, like the static before a thunderstorm, as people began to get excited about the biggest night in camp. It happened every once or twice a year I was told, and every time the whole camp attended. Alcohol was allowed for that one night, otherwise it was banned within the camp. With drinks poured and music playing, the dance had been described to me as the most magical experience I would ever be present for – although, this was coming from Ruby and she was known to overdramatize things.

The magical evening obviously needed some preparation, but I was not expecting to be roped into it myself. Initially, I imagined the less important figures of camp to be in charge of it. I was completely wrong. Instead, the leaders and higher up people all came together to organize it. It was a symbolic was of saying thank you for their continuous hard work. I expected to be the receiver, not the organizer.

Somehow, I was now classed as an important figure of camp – despite many people disagreeing – so the next day, I was called to the canteen after lunch. I had left the defense base in an upbeat mood with nearly twenty-five people there, it was a significant increase which made it hard to leave. I wanted to help for the first time. But, I was helping in a different way, by organizing a dance. Apparently.

Making my way into the canteen; Leonardo, Greg, Evelyn and a few others I recognize stand in a circle in the middle of the room. The tables which were present during breakfast and lunch are now packed away and pushed to the side, leaving the spotless floor open and ready for a creative spin.

I shoot Matt a smile and feel relief that there's a familiar face. I want to go to him, but I can't. Leonardo's eyes follow my movements and suddenly I'm angling towards him without meaning to. Dammit. He smiles at me as I approach and I wonder if he's going to talk about our disagreement.

He walks away from the group so he stands just on the outside. As I approach, he throws his arms out wide and grins. I smile back, hating the bounce in my step that arrives. I clench my hands together so I don't wrap them around his robust frame.

"Welcome to dance preparations, Audrey. Can't wait to see your confetti skills." Leonardo says, his voice raised but nobody turns around, obviously used to Leonardo's sarcastic announcements.

"I have no such skills. In fact, I'm just a waste of space," I nod to myself. "I would be more useful in defense. I'll go there now."

Leonardo drops his arms and wraps one hand around my wrist. Air rushes past my lips as I turn to face him. I will myself to stay strong but I don't know if my physical resistance to him is as strong as my mental.

"No," He smiles and it almost feels like a greeting. "You will go to medical and get Isaac for us. Time to face your fears."

"I don't have any." I shrug.

"Really? I do," He answers honestly. His blue eyes seem distracted for a moment, but he refocuses them on me before I can distinguish anything. "Anyway, see you soon."

I shoot him a glare over my shoulder as I walk away. He laughs and grins at me, his white teeth shining through. The perfectly messy hair on top of his head is distracting and I turn around to focus again. I don't think about his eyes on me. I refuse to. I can almost sense them – no, I won't think about it.

I turn in the main entrance and make my way down the unfamiliar corridor of medical. I soothe any lingering apprehension and hold my head high as I walk into the brightly lit area. Beds line two sides, white light flooding the area with unnatural light. People smile at me as I walk in and I'm momentarily redundant. I'm unsure where to go, but a cluster of people surrounding a desk at the back of the room feel like my best bet to find Isaac.