Chapter Eleven - Protection

Darkness doesn't consume me. Pain doesn't radiate through me.  I wait anxiously, my battered body tensing despite its exhaustion. I hear a grunt and I open my eyes, dazed and confused. I want to pass out. I want the darkness to consume me. Let it overtake me, it'll be easier than fighting back. I don't know if I can anymore. I should be able to, but I can't . Suffering from one too many blows, the only thing I can do is open my eyes.

Florescent lights shine down on me, temporarily blinding my face from the rest of the room. My eyes settle on a fast-moving shadow moving towards me, their dark head of hair looming over Greg's shoulder before ripping him away from me. My body sighs in relief that his solid mass has finally been shifted away. I feel light again.

Struggling to lean up on my elbows, I squeeze my eyes shut tightly before opening them again. An angry Leonardo greets my eyes, holding back Greg by the shoulder. His jaw is clenched tight, his body a coiled wire as it holds back Gregs visibly shaking one. Muscles stand out on both of them, their bodies preparing for impact.

"How could you?" Leonardo growls, his voice deep. "You promised that the people would decide."

Greg shrugs, wiping blood from his nose. "I got bored."

"Oh, did you? Decided to pick on a girl, then? No, not even a girl – an innocent. She's done nothing to you." He says, his voice rising.

"She's done everything to me. Picked you apart too, clearly. Don't worry, she's not interested in Matt over there. She's all yours." Greg smiles, cocking his head over to the area where Matt was standing.

"You don't know anything. If you did, you would realize keeping to your promise would have done you better. This is over." Leonardo snarls and shoves Greg away, pushing him off of the main mat.

He moves towards me with slow steps. I shake my head, but pain flares up with no intention of fading. I slow my movements. "I'm fine."

"Shut up. Let me help you." He instructs and I'm momentarily redundant to his dominating nature.

My usual response kicks in seconds after it's unusual fault. "Like you can boss me around."

"Okay, stand up and walk to the door then. Prove you don't need me."

I send Leonardo a sarcastic smile and clench my hands into fists. Once sitting up, I push off the floor. Bad decision. My knees crumple with the new weight of my body resting on them, sending me crumpling into a pile on the floor. I grunt in frustration and get halfway up again when I feel a warm arm loop its way around my waist.

"Definitely fine." Leonardo muses as he pulls me into his body. I relax without meaning to, subconsciously leaning into him.

"I am." I groan, reaching to feel my jaw which feels swollen.

Leonardo huffs and begins walking, keeping me supported. The climb up to the door is slow, but once we reach it, I'm relieved when he continues walking into the residential area – he clearly remembered my reserves about medical.

Turning early, I'm surprised when he takes me into the bathroom. Two shower stalls stand covered by curtains on my left, with two toilet cubicles opposite the door we just entered. Sinks with stretching mirrors above them stand opposite the showers. The whole room encased in blue and white.

Setting me in front of a sink, facing away from the mirror, he reaches down across me and pulls up a first aid box from the bottom. His body grazes mine as he straightens up and I'm reminded yet again of how close he is. How close I'm letting him be without a shadow of a complaint.

Knew this would come in handy. He murmurs, opening up the case balanced on the sink beside us. Copious amounts of bandages fly out and I let out a sigh of relief.