Chapter Seven - Warning

My footsteps dragged on the way back from the meeting with all of the representatives. I kept my head high despite my inner turmoil. I wouldn't be brought down by my enemy. I refuse.

Looking at the facts, my conscience screamed with agitation. I understood that my friendliness was not something to be envied. Similarly, I wasn't the best at making friends because of that fact. My track record of keeping friends was nil. Winning the battle for representative wasn't going to be won over by making friends, I decided - I needed to beat him by impressing people with my defense skills. He was never in the defense base; this was my best shot.

I was fully intending on going back to the defense base to work on my skills and get some frustration out but something stopped me. My footsteps were quick as I passed but a hand suddenly latching onto my arm made my steps falter to a stop. Letting out a sigh in annoyance, my morbid mood dissipates when I take in Ruby's sunshine face.

"Well?" She asks, hopping from one foot to the other. I look at her questioningly, raising my eyebrows. A sigh of impatience passes through her lips. "What happened, silly! I need the details. Are you a representative now?"

I begin to shake my head when the sound of footsteps in the desolate hall halts our conversation. The representatives slowly trickle out of the room, their faces demanding authority. Greg and Isaac pass us without a second glance, but Leo's eyes lock onto mine with laser focus. I clench my fist to stop the tremors in my body. He shoots Ruby a tight-lipped smile before walking away.

Evelyn charges up to us, wrapping her arms around Ruby and I's shoulders. "Oh, the details we have to discuss."

I look at her questioningly but Ruby squeals with excitement. They both sit down on the bottom bunk of their bed and I sit diligently opposite on my own. Evelyn leans back on her elbows and raises an eyebrow at me.

"Want to explain all of the eye contact in there, or should I?" Evelyn smirks, her words setting Ruby off in another fit of giggles.

"What eye contact?" I feign shock.

"Between you and Leo! He couldn't get his eyes away from you."

I burn. Flames lick at my bones. I can't tell if it's embarrassment or not. "Yes, he could, stop being dramatic."

"You should've been there, Ruby." Evelyn taunts, her eyes lighting up. "Something obviously happened between you two when you had that fight."

"Noth-"I begin, but I sigh in defeat. "We fought, sure, but I'm pretty sure he was holding back. He wasn't the same as when he was in The Pen. Then I pinned him to the ground. I was about to get off but he held my wrist and my waist and we kind of had a pause. I don't know? There was a lot of silence and just looking at each other."

Ruby darts across the room and takes my calloused hands in her soft ones. "So, you sat and stared into each others eyes?"

"I mean sure, but I absolutely wouldn't class that as a moment." I scoff, shrugging my shoulders.

There's silence in the room as Evelyn observes me. I shift uncomfortably but Ruby just grins at my discomfort.

"Well," Evelyn sighs finally. "It's about time."

"Huh?" I question.

"You remember, Georgia. She treated him like shit. Although, he wasn't much better." Evelyn sighs. "God, they did the whole camp a favour when they broke up."

"Georgia?" I question.

"Yeah, girlfriend he had about two years ago. She's in medical which is probably why you haven't seen her. Toxic relationship through and through. She used him when he was convenient and he hated her for it but wouldn't do the camp a favor by breaking up with her."