Chapter Thirty-Three - Reconstruction

Chapter Song: Born to Die – Lana Del Ray

~

I'm distinctly aware of Leonardo's arm around my body. I'm also hyperaware of how good it feels. How content and safe my body is when cocooned by his own. I know this should feel bad. Never mind training with someone, Leonardo and I have just shared a bed all night. I doubt I've ever been this intimate with someone. He pushes every boundary I have. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it.

Right now, however, I love it. His clean scent makes me bury closer into my pillow, my movement obviously alerting him because he grumbles and pulls me closer. I smile before my eyelids flutter shut. I awake again to a brighter room, sunlight shining through. The room is still as deserted as last night, only Leonardo's breathing keeping my own company. It's strange that despite my short time here compared to Oakwood, I've become used to having roommates.

But even with only one returning today, Ruby never will. The memory sends a shard of grief down my throat and I hold Leonardo's arm tighter whilst I wait for it to pass. It eventually does and by the time I'm fully awake, Leonardo is waking behind me.

He rolls over and tries to pull the pillow over his face. Not a morning person then. Smiling, I keep it firmly beneath my head and rest my head on his shoulder. He sighs in content and presses a kiss to the top of my head.

"Morning." He rasps, his deep voice sending feelings only he can evoke tingling down my spine.

"Good morning," I say, keeping my voice soft. I don't want to break the pure nature of this morning. "Are you ready to get up?"

"Evelyn warned me about your insane morning motivation. Rest for a moment won't you, Auds?" He questions.

Planting a hand on top of his chest, I rest my chin against it and smile up at him. My happiness is unexplainable and undeniable. A strange phenomenon I've never experienced. There seems to always be an explanation apart from Leonardo. "It's called saving a camp. Lend a hand?"

"I'm helping my eyes," He whispers an I suppress a laugh. "I would kiss you but I refuse with morning breath."

"Noted." I smile, before letting my head drop against his shoulder again.

I allow myself five minutes. Five minutes to talk to Leonardo. Run my palms across his arms. Feel his chest move beneath my cheek. Bask in the feeling of his fingers running through my hair. Five minutes of bliss where I can't stop touching him. He's quickly become an addiction I need to feed, which is exactly the reason I force myself to stand up once the time is up.

"Spoil sport." Leonardo grumbles as I get clothes for the day. He lies in bed, denying any possibility of getting up.

"You'll thank me." I shrug before opening the door and making my way to the bathroom.

I shower and change quickly, the responsibility of the defense base calling to me. I stop by the canteen to get breakfast first as I know there's no point in trying to work without sustenance in my stomach. When I arrive, I let out a sigh of exasperation when I see Isaac standing beside Matt.

"Hello, thank you for joining." His tone is polite but his eyes promise mischief. I highly doubt he doesn't know where Leonardo was last night. At least he's kept it quiet, however. Isaac is someone who you can trust to always follow through on his promises of loyalty.

I skip over the fact that I'm late, all three of us are aware of it. No need to make it more obvious. "What are you doing here?"

"Calling your sector up for field day." He says, his smile sad which triggers alarm bells in my head.