Chapter Thirty-Four - Overwhelmed

Chapter song: broken parts - Clide

~

The flu arrived in camp like a cloud of smoke that couldn't be aired away. Every day more and more people fell with it. Their cheeks flushed, brows sweating, bodies shaking. The symptoms were easy to spot but the challenge was catching them before they showed. Once they were obviously ill it wasn't unusual that they had spread it to four other people. It was frustrating and depressing. An invisible fight – you had no tactics; the only option was to wait it out.

No matter how hard I tried, how cautious I was, I caught it. It was Tuesday, a week after the flu had arrived. Somebody from Oakwood has probably spread it when they attacked and I found myself cursing them as I lay in a medical bed. I only stayed a night – I refused to stay longer. I was strong, others weren't.

But now as I blow my nose, I question if I'm truly strong. It's been five days since I've caught it, but some lingering symptoms still cause me to stop my training every so often. It irritates me more than I can put into words. I've been cleared safe enough to train since the whole camp is basically struck down with it. Someone with a sore throat and a blocked nose is not a concern.

Leonardo must've passed it onto me which was a surprise, to say the least. We've been weird with each other for the past two weeks. I flinched and it's like the after effects of it sent shockwaves through our foundations, crumbling them to dust. We've talked, but only short sentences in passing. He never comes to my room; I never go to his. Leader meetings are when we see each other the most but even then, the camp situation is so dire that the topic of rebuilding is the only one we can focus on.

"Nah, guys I need them sanitized. Sucks, but it's better than being trapped in medical." I say, observing from my break spot. A group of guys who were about to start combat sigh and traipse off to find cleaning supplies. I'm surprised I had no rebuttal – there's been a lot of that lately with short tempers.

"You tell 'em, sick lady." Elise smiles coming to stand beside me. She's fully recovered after catching it early on due to working in Medical.

Although medical has never been so busy. Elise has still found the time to come in and help out with Defense. She already understood how important the sector was and I'm using her as a symbol of what happens when you let me train a person. She doesn't seem to mind; it's another chance to show off her refined skills of hand-to-hand combat and knife throwing. Elise is better everyday and I burst in pride every time she takes someone down on the main mat. She's making a name for herself; it's great.

"I'm a recovering, strong woman, thank you." I correct, raising an eyebrow. Any previous aches in my bones have evaporated with training.

"My mistake," She smiles before turning serious. "How are you feeling?"

"Tired." I groan, rubbing a hand over my face. Being ill and getting up at sunrise don't mix. Doesn't mean I'll stop doing it, though.

"Maybe you should rest." She smiles.

"Maybe I should eat and the come back." I smile, squeezing her shoulder and moving up the ramp.

In the canteen, I send Evelyn a sympathetic look when she comes out carrying another tray of food.

With the fields still recovering and half of her sector out, food is being pushed to the limit. I feel endlessly bad for her. Every night she comes into the room and falls into bed. Only gets up when she needs to for work. There's no enjoyment for Evelyn anymore but I'm hoping it'll just be a temporary thing. We'll order more food in the next order – sacrificing Construction or Defense probably as medical need everything right now. Hopefully with more tinned stuff in, she can ease her workload slightly.