Chapter Thirty-Nine - Change

I wake up in Leonardo's arms again. Sighing, I turn to find him still sleeping, a smile creeps onto my face at his relaxed state. So often he portrays himself to be easy going and undeterred by stress but sometimes, if you hold his shoulder or feel his jaw, they're clenched in angst. The pressure of being a leader may be invisible to some but it's as obvious as the sun to me when it affects Leonardo. I run my hands over his relaxed shoulder, kissing the gentle slope of his neck in an urge which leaves my stomach clenched – not in fear, but in want.

It's a growth that seems delayed when I'm with him. Of course I should be affectionate, I should be relaxed around him. I don't need to compete with Leonardo to reserve my feelings. If anything, it should be a luxury to feel this, Ruby never managed to. Maybe her final wishes of being happy have finally paid off.

When I tuck myself in under his head and continue to run my hands along his arms he mumbles in his sleep for a few minutes before waking up. He drags me even closer, placing a kiss on the top of my head with a sigh of tiredness and, what I can only hope is, happiness.

"Good morning." I murmur, aware that it's still early. Later than when I would usually get up, however. It's strange how quickly my body has relaxed into this routine.

"Please wake me up like that every morning." He grumbles, his head relaxing against the pillow again with mine still buried in his chest.

I remove it to look up at him with fake shock on my face, blinking slowly at him. "This was time-limited deal. I told you I only do two nights maximum with someone."

He tickles my side and I'm unable to move, wrapped in his arms. I may be strong, but not when my senses are being overloaded. Mercifully he stops, flipping us around so I'm on my back with his head on my chest. I run my hands through his hair, a recent habit of mine he seems to like.

"Where do you get this energy from, Auds? I need some of it."

"The energizing prospect that I have a whole sector to run. It's got knifes in there, Leonardo, I kind of have to turn up."

"Let them battle it out. I'll make you a night-person by the end of this. No more morning bursts of energy." He warns, placing a kiss on my chest before resting his head against the spot.

"You don't like it?" I joke, raising an eyebrow.

He shrugs slightly. "It would be so much easier to convince you stay in bed if you weren't so alert."

I tap the top of his head to move him off me and he complies, rolling to the side with a forearm over his eyes. I practically have to roll over him to reach the floor but once I do, I'm collecting my stuff to leave. I warn that I'll meet him for breakfast in twenty minutes but I only get a grumble in response.

My low expectations are shot out of the water when I see Leonardo at our table, laughing at something Evelyn said. I join them, slotting down beside Leonardo with Evelyn and Isaac opposite us.

"Morning." I smile, spooning as much food as I can into my mouth.

"Good morning." Evelyn smiles before Robert comes over and kisses Evelyn for long enough that the rest of us make awkward eye-contact until they break apart.

Robert doesn't seem flustered. "Have a good day, guys." He waves before departing. I watch him go in shock. Sure, they've always been an affectionate couple but that was bold, even for them.

"Spill," I say as soon as hes gone. "What's happened with you two?"

Evelyn grins down at her plate. "We said I love you last night and it went rather well."