Chapter Twenty - Testing

"I think Oakwood are planning to attack us."

Silence descends upon the group. I stare incredulously at Greg, trying to decipher if his panicked expression is true or not. I get nothing out of it. Looking around the group, everybody looks the same. Arms crossed, mouths pressed into a fine line, eyes narrowed in suspicion. Letting out a sigh, Leonardo is the first one to speak.

"What do you mean?" He asks, his voice low. Threatening.

"You know what I mean. We've been expecting this for a while." Greg mutters. He walks around the table and sits down in his designated seat.

I run a hand through my hair. Evelyn visibly clenches and unclenches her hands. Isaac begins muttering underneath his breath.

"We've suspected it, sure but there's been no proof so far." Leonardo shrugs.

"I'm just going off of what she," Greg points a finger at me. "Told us. If it's as true as she says, an attack is coming."

"Everything I say is true." I speak for the first time, defending my honour.

"How do we know you're being truthful?" Evelyn speaks up, meeting Greg's glare.

I applaud her straight-forward question. How do we know he's not lying? Greg never works in his sector – or any sector for that matter – and acts as though he's the king of the camp. He bullies, both physically and verbally, those around camp. The level of trust I have in him is the same that I place in Oakwood, the camp of traitors.

"Why would I lie about this?" He growls, his renowned short temper running low. Mine is too.

"Why wouldn't you? You've always wanted to be the dictator around here, maybe an attack would become an insider betrayal." I shoot back.

"Audrey, please, I know you're not the quickest but even you can understand that I wouldn't announce a sabotage plan this publicly." Greg smiles.

I open my mouth to make a rebuttal to his point, but Leonardo shoots me a look that makes me be quiet. I scowl at him, but he turns to face Greg – stopping my temper.

"If this is true, how are you so certain?" He questions.

"Well, I was on my break in the canteen," Greg begins explaining. My temper rises further at his mention of a break which I know isn't true. "I went through to the kitchen to get food. People were unloading from the truck, which I noticed was bigger than usual. I asked a guy and he said they were getting the usual amount, the rest was for Oakwood."

I sigh. "If this is true, we probably have three days."

"Three?" Isaac questions, his eyebrows nearly hitting his hairline.

"Yeah, two to prepare, one to pack and think through tactics," I explain, confused at the looks I'm getting. "That's pretty standard? Do you not listen to anything in defense?"

"I listened to everything," Greg smirks. My blood boils. "But if dear Audrey is correct, we're going to have to move fast."

"We're doing testing right now in defense." I mention.

Isaac nods. "That's good. You can be done in what two days? We single out who's our best fighters and let the rest prepare the camp. We do it without telling anyone. There's no need to cause hysteria."

"But it's going to happen!" Greg exclaims.

"We're not certain on that fact yet. I agree with Isaac. Keep testing and make sure our camp is secure. We'll meet back here in two days." Leonardo plans.