Chapter Twenty-Six - Vote

Despite the failure of my day where I rounded everyone up, my determination didn't fade. For the next three days, every waking moment was spent in the defense base. Not one person who arrived didn't get a training session with me. I'm beyond exhausted, but as numbers subtly rise by single digits, I can't deny that my rigorous techniques work. Plus, in an added bonus, my position in the camp seems to be getting stronger. Greg isn't anywhere to be seen and my presence is impossible to ignore. People become more comfortable with others who they see often – I'm aiming to use that technique to manipulate some of the more stubborn soldiers around me.

I'm at knife throwing today, my mecca of peace. The technique, aiming and satisfying thuds soothes my soul more than any meditation ever could. Nobody seemed to have the same mindset in camp, but as long as they were showing up, I was happy. Matt had consistently warned me about overworking myself, but I refuse to slow down – my body is used to these bouts of vigorous, intense training, his isn't . The whole camp isn't . Soon, once
I'm satisfied, they will be.

"Punch like you mean it." I instruct, passing one man who looks like he's only giving fifty percent effort. I need one-hundred percent at all times.

"I'm trying." He huffs, increasing the frequency of his punches.

I sigh and hang my head, moving closer and showing him what to do. I need some people to understand that frequency of your hits isn't important. Two solid, impactful punches with proper technique are always better than five flimsy ones.

Once the man is sorted, I continue working my way around the room. I'm bending down and fixing a mat when Isaac walks in, his pristine medical coat looking out of place in the Defence base. I'm proud that for the first time the area looks busy. Raising my head, he sends me a smile and begins walking over to me.

"Lunch meeting with the whole camp, you're going to have to round everyone up I'm afraid." He says once he's close enough.

A few surrounding people hear him and pack up, desperate for the excuse. I roll my eyes, causing Isaac to let out a low laugh, deliberately keeping quiet to not hurt my feelings. I appreciate it and pretend I don't hear him.

"Okay, I'll get everyone up." I nod, knowing it's not going to be a difficult job.

Everyone complies easily with my instructions to go to lunch. Some even look relieved about it, which I try not to think too much about.

As I walk up the ramp, confusion clouds over my head. Lunch is usually staggered, unlike dinner, just to give the canteen some breathing space whilst they deal with everyone. To call it all at the same time means something is obviously happening. I ponder over what it could be for the whole walk to the canteen.

Finding Evelyn and Ruby, I sit down with a sigh of relief. "Any idea what's going on?"

"Let's just say I wasn't even allowed to serve today," She says knowingly. "Due to leader duties."

I frown at her, tilting my head. Ruby hounds her to tell us, but her persistence doesn't pay off, Evelyn remains tight-lipped for the whole time we wait.

Eventually, everyone is settles by tables. It feels chaotic with the amount of people here. With an indication of his head, Isaac beckons Evelyn forward. She climbs onto a free table with the rest of the leaders around her. Greg is noticeably missing from the four and I look around the canteen to find him. His eyes are furious as they lock on mine and I frown. What's happening?

"Alright everyone, thanks for coming," Leonardo starts. I can't cant help but stare at him. With my life revolving around Defence, I haven't seen him in two days. He looks calm and collected but his messy hair still calls to me no matter what situation I'm in. "As you all know, the defense leader has been Greg for a while now. But, when Audrey Thompson was transferred, questions were raised if she should would be more appropriate for the role."