Chapter Thirty-Seven - Reunion

Chapter Song: Heaven - FINNEAS

~

I'm winning until I'm not. My victory is ripped away from me.

Unyielding arms wrap around my waist and pull me back with strength I can't dispute. My body is dragged back before I can take another breath. Land another punch. My hands itch to do so but the urge fades slowly as I see Greg leaning back on his elbows, blood dripping from his nose. I know my lip is bleeding, but I hold it within my mouth so it's not obvious. Greg may know I'm injured but it doesn't matter because I won.

Did I really though if the camp has suffered so heavily?

Looking down, the muscular forearms hold onto me for a second too long. I know who it is without having to turn around, his body familiar against my own. My already labored breathing seems to halt altogether as he stands with his arms around me. Leonardo eventually relaxes when he senses that I'll no longer lunge for Greg.

Turning around, his eyes are dark. Gone is the clear blue sky on a sunny day. The storm has rolled in, pushing out any brightness which might have once been. I wonder if any of it was ever for me. I'm stunned to realize I wish it was. God, I miss him. I miss being able to put my hands on him, they itch for a different reason.

He clears his throat and steps back, breaking the protective atmosphere around us. I come back to my senses to feel Evelyn moving forward to grip my forearm. It's not a restraint, it's a form of support. Isaac gets Greg on his feet and restrains him, his usually powerful body at the mercy of Isaac's fury after the fight. I slowly turn to see the rest of the defense base looking at me, their eyes wide in shock. My eyes connect with Matts in a silent plea and he takes the instructions without needing any further assistance, guiding those around him back to work.

"Come with me," Isaac says to Greg, his voice gruff for possibly the first time ever. "You can be restrained in medical."

"I don't deserve to be restrained. She's the one who attacked me." Greg says, fury coating every word.

Evelyn scoffs. "Keep walking, big guy."

No respect. He's lost it all. No longer a leader, no longer a figure of respect. With no influence left in his grasp, Greg's led away from the Defense base, which he failed, with his head hung low. I'm almost too tired to consider what will happen with him. He's a nuisance now, not a mountain to overcome. The problem he's created is instead.

With tension slowly dissolving, pain slowly creeps into my body. The disadvantage of adrenaline, it's great until you don't have it anymore. Pain does not yield to your personal preferences, it arrives when it gains enough power over your body to do so.

"I'm going to go. Let me know if you need anymore help." Leonardo says, his voice low. He keeps his eyes on Evelyn as he speaks but his eyes connect with mine as he turns to leave. The back of his hand brushing against mine in a tantalizing moment of accidental contact.

It may have been accidental but I can't deny the effect he has on me.

"I hate to do this to you but I need to be there for dinner service." Evelyn winces in her guilt.

I clear my throat. "No, go. Totally. I'll get Matt to help me recover this base."

If looking around and still seeing stricken faces, after the receiver of my violence has left the base, is any indication, I'm guessing people are going to have questions. I wave Evelyn goodbye before moving off the mat. People come up to me but I only send them a small smile before making my way over to Matt. My ankle throbs with every step I take. My whole body does.