Chapter Twenty-One - Decisive

Chapter Song: I saw your face – Emily James

~~~~

"Is that another one?" Isaac murmurs, peering out of the window.

"Looks like it." I grimace, sitting back on my heels.

The leaders and I have gathered in our usual room. With a window on the far wall, our attention was diverted from budgets to the minivan in the distance. This was the second time it had appeared in two days. They always appeared at dusk, just when the sky was setting. It was Oakwood, it had to be. There was no-one else in this whole 200-mile compound with vehicles like that.

Marchwood had the remodeled buses and any outsider vehicle is covered in camouflage. These minivans are stark white against the green trees surrounding the area. They come close enough to see the camp, but never close enough for it to be obvious. I had spotted the first one when I was walking back from training, looking out through the door in the main entrance. I had alerted all of the leaders; they had quickly agreed that it was a potential threat. Even Greg had agreed with me for possibly the first time ever.

"The third one will be the attack." I sigh, taking my seat at the table once the minivan has disappeared from sight.

Everyone else follows my lead, slumping into their seats with concern etched across their faces.

"How do you know?" Isaac questions.

"First drive is to see if they can do it, second is to track how long it takes, third is the attack. Based off of previous ideas in the camp. It's just like our plan of three days." I shrug.

"How can we believe you?" Greg questions, raising an eyebrow.

"Don't start this now," Evelyn sighs. "We know we can. Let's just deal with the threat for now. What should we do?"

"Well we've just completed training, so I say we find the strongest and place them in the most vulnerable areas. Those less equipped should, in all honesty, go into lockdown and try to protect themselves." I suggest,

"Really?" Grimaces Leonardo.

"It's the only way."

The next hour is spent creating plans for the attack. Although we don't know if its going to happen, we have to be prepared. There's more of us in this camp, but our training isn't up to their standard. Yet. I'm determined to make sure it is once this threat had passed so we can be ready for any potential ones in the future.

I collapse into bed that night, my head buzzing with possibilities. I black-out for maybe five hours before I'm up again, checking defense supplies and making sure the first-aid kits are well stocked. Medical people run around me; their time finally arriving.

Breaking the news to the camp creates deep fears. There are no screams in the canteen when Isaac stands on top of the raised platform and announces we may be getting attacked tonight. Only fearful glances passed back and forth between soldiers serve as the reaction to his words. Whispers of anticipation. Apprehension.

Calling the strongest soldiers forward is a long and agonizing process. We've put them onto the front line without questioning them. I feel remorse for them, but at the same time it's tainted by my belief that everyone called should've been prepared. This is our job. To protect. Our enemies may be different from what we suspected, but the notion is the same. Protect.

"That's everyone." Leonardo tells Isaac when he calls the last name.

Sighing, Isaac turns to me for guidance. Leonardo offers his hand down from where he stands on the platform. I ignore it and hike myself up independently. Leonardo smirks in amusement but I don't meet his eye, letting my actions speak for themselves.