Chapter Sixteen - Awareness

I grinned in glee at Elise, watching her arm fly out and hit the punching bag with more strength than she had a month ago. Muscle has built itself around her frame, giving her both confidence and more precision in her techniques. Now that strength wasn't as big of a problem, Elise could turn her attention into more pressing matters of techniques to defend yourself against unexpected attacks and how to get someone to the floor – even those bigger than you.

I had learnt those skills years ago. Probably in my second year of the program once I had bulked up a little. I hated the bulk – it felt distinctly male against my female identified body – but it allowed me to keep up the guys; the quickest, most ruthless ones. Their expectations of females pushed me to be the greatest until I was the one pushing them. I still am. Even today, when people have let the reassuring structure of routine lull them into relaxing on their training, I haven't faltered. Why would I when it could potentially cost my life?

I was going to make it through this and for the people who actually cared, I would make sure that they survived too.

"Good," I hum, walking in a circle around Elise as she showcases her new technique. "You need to be more flexible. Stop being like a board."

"I'll add that to my list of how to not get killed,"She pants breathlessly. "Be flexible. Sure. Doing the splits will save me on a battlefield."

I laugh and shake my head disbelieving. I stop my walking and stand on her right side. "You don't need to do the splits, just be flexible. Being relaxed will help your body move better. You'll need to dodge, duck and dive if you're outnumbered in a fight and being cemented to the floor won't help that."

Elise nods, shooting me a smile as she stops punching. "You've got it, boss."

"I'm not your boss." I drawl, even though I feel like everyone's manager in this sector.

She stretches down to her toes, but looks up at me through her disarrayed hair with a grin. "I know. It's just easy to annoy you with it."

I roll my eyes with a click of my tongue and walk away without a word. She laughs behind me but continues stretching, not bothering to chase me.

I find Matt close to pulling his hair out as he explains the basics of boxing to a boy I've never seen before. I wonder if he's from a different sector, or is he one of the people who never bothered to show finally making an appearance? I pray that it's the latter.

"Hey, Matt. Having fun?" I say in a monotone voice which has Greg grinning at me.

"Loads. You need to show off Elise more or are you done?" He asks, referencing this morning when I made him sit and watch Elise throw punches, just to prove how my teaching is better than his. He reluctantly agreed with me.

"I'm done," I sigh before smiling. "For now. Listen, Im taking my break, okay?"

Greg gives me an unexpected look of surprise but nods nonetheless. "Yeah. If I'm dead in the next ten minutes don't resuscitate me." He groans before turning back to the boy who glowers at him ferociously.

I walk out of the defense sector feeling confident, prepared. It fades as I make my way out of the camp building and into the fresh air. It grazes my skin with long lost familiarity. I'd forgotten what it feels like to openly walk outside due to spending all of my time in defence. I miss it.

Walking around the corner, I steady myself with a deep breath as I walk forward. My plan was to visit Leonardo. It's been four days since he was beaten in The Pen and I haven't seen him since. Not even in the canteen. He was there for me when Greg pummeled me, so I feel as though I have to be there for him too. But what if he doesn't want me there? What if I've misinterpreted everything?