Chapter Six - Meetings

"...I'm officially nominating Audrey Thompson for the position of the defense representative."

Silence seems to be my best friend in this camp. It follows me everywhere and greets me in even the most dangerous situations. Opens its arms when I don't want it to. I don't want it. I don't want it.

My breath comes out in short pants as everyone keeps their eyes on Leonardo as he stands tall and strong in front of the judgement. I don't know why he's doing it.

Sure, I'm valuable. I'm skilled. I'm probably one of the best fighters in this camp. But is it worth changing a system just for me? I wanted power, more recognition, but I'm suddenly unsure if I want an official position. It will mean less time in defense and less time spent on my own skills making sure I'm the best of the best. I have to be, especially after Leonardo's announcement. Hes just put a target on my back.

But maybe I want that target. Let them try to drag me down, I won't fall. I'll rise. This may be my chance to win their trust and become an important figure in Marchwood. Make them trust me before transferring back over to Oakwood. It would destroy this camp; victory would be easy.

The silence across the canteen lasts for nearly a minute. Frowns, confusion and wavering looks of intimidation coats everyones faces, at least the ones I can see. I straighten myself in my chair as a sense of longing settles over my shoulders. I want that position. I want that power.

The block in my road stands up with his broad shoulders pulled back and his jaw clenched in annoyance.

"Are you fucking joking me?" Greg bellows, making sure everyone in the camp can here it. Oakwood themselves probably can.

"I'm not joking," Leonardo says, his voice still calm. "I believe it's best for the camp."

Greg rolls his eyes and clenches his fists. I consider standing up but realize it would just make his rage worse. Instead I watch him as he walks towards Leonardo, stands up on the platform and faces him, a low growl emanating from his throat as he meets the other mans eyes.

"You're sure its best for the camp? You don't just want to get in with this girl?" Greg asks and a shock echoes across the hall, everyone hearing his deadly tone.

My body goes hot as the ghosts of Leo's hands on my hips trail across my body again. I clench my eyes shut in annoyance and feel my anger beginning to rise.

Leonardo doesn't flinch. "Clearly you don't know me as well as I thought, especially if you think I would put a girl ahead of the survival of the camp."

I'm reminded of Leonardo and Greg's friendship at his words and watch them both carefully, mutual frustration tainting their once obvious bond. Gregs bulk outweighs Leonardos, but his anger would make him side-tracked, so Leonardo would have the opportunity to win. If he watched his feet, I smirk, remembering last night.

Before any confrontation can take place in front of the shell-shocked camp, Isaac lets out an audible sigh and stands up from his table. Somebody grabs his wrist to stop him, but he shakes them off, his brows furrowed in annoyance.

Playing the parent role effortlessly well, he stops at the side of the platform and harshly whispers to the two men. The whole camp strains forward to listen, but his words are hidden behind his quiet volume.

I roll my shoulders back with a shaky breath when I feel a hand on my forearm. I look to the side to see Ruby watching the confrontation, but she squeezes my arm encouragingly. I appreciate the subtle display of support and I send her a small smile, although I don't know if she sees it.

Greg is the first one to give in to Isaacs apparent speech. His shoulders drop in defeat but his face doesn't loose its annoyance, his anger is still visibly burning inside of him. Leonardo lets out a breath before stepping off of the platform, a small smile across his face - a smug one that I want to knock off.