Chapter Twenty-Seven - Beginnings

Chapter Song: Castle - Halsey

~~~~

The responsibility of leader settles onto my shoulder with ease. For a while, I questioned if it was truly what I wanted. But now, with no other choice but to be the best, I'm beginning to thrive. The people in camp seem to accept me more. Although there's still a random name call or a dirty, scathing look, they're easy to brush off. I had worse in Oakwood a lot of the time.

So far, I have been to two leader meetings. It was pure joy walking in and knowing that Greg couldn't come in and point out everything wrong with my plans – or more than that, just the flaws in myself. I was welcomed as part of the team because I have earnt my right. I fight for my opportunities and this was the one that was paying off the most.

My future in Oakwood would've never reached to this high standard. In a camp that had a considerable number of sexists, a leader role would've been laughable. Add I'm their dictatorship and it's unimaginable. But now, in Marchwood, every chance I have ever wanted is there to take – I'm grabbing onto everyone. Nobody can stop me.

Leonardo and I have begun to keep our relationship more secret. As I was recently elected, I didn't want the camp to think that he had managed to sway the vote in his favor. There is no way I will allow my position to be taken from me, even if it means not meeting up with Leonardo as much. We restricted our meetings to our rooms and late-night meetings in areas where no-one was. This situation isn't forever, I just want my position of defense leader to become second-nature before our relationship becomes public knowledge. Leonardo understands, as usual.

Gathering everyone in the defense base, I work my way through the crowds to the front. People grumble as I move them to the side, clearing the way. A few people stop in fear when they see who's passing, a smirk making its way onto my lips every time it happens. The whole of the defense base is gathered today. I called a compulsory meeting to explain how things are going to work from now on. Plus, I can call these meetings now and I'm relishing in the power.

Standing up onto a makeshift platform made out of boxes, they hold steady underneath my weight. Matt stands beside me, shooting me a smile in encouragement. I don't particularly need it, after all, public speaking has never been a fear of mine. As a leader, I don't think it could be, anyway.

"Thank you for coming," I start, letting the crowd fall silent before I continue. "As you know, I'm your new Defense leader and I just wanted to explain what the standards are going to be from now on.

"From this moment forward, you're required to come into the base for at least six hours a day. There's no more spontaneous breaks, fake injuries or ignorance going to take place. You will turn up and you will train. If you don't, someone will come and track you down. I'll have lists of everyone on the door, if you're name isn't ticked off at the end of the day there will be punishment.

"Turning up to the base and sitting isn't good enough. You must train and train well. You don't know what to do? Ask. You may be used to a leader who doesn't help, but I will. I want to. It's my responsibility to get you ready for war. This fact may have slipped your mind in the past couple of months but I expect it to be at the forefront from now on. Understand?"

I'm met with the sight o frantic nods, many people looking scared. Good. Fear makes you work harder. Nodding back, I look at the crowd with determination. I will not fail these people.

"Any questions?"

"Yeah, um...you're not from this camp and you're now leader? How are we supposed to trust you?" Somebody asks from the back. I don't recognize him; he can't train a lot.