Chapter Twenty-Four - Normality

My sleep stretches into infinity but its still not long enough. My eyes are heavy without opening them, my mouth dry. With a slight pounding echoing across my skull, I wake up three times and fall back asleep before I even open my eyes. With my body punishing me for last nights regrets, I wallow in my punishment for longer than I probably should. Why should I get up?

The threat of the attack seems to have lessened based off our religious checks around camp and outside. There's been nothing suspicious since the drives close to our camp by the minivans. Although I initially assumed Greg was being truthful, that assumption is compromised by the lack of attacks. If he was lying, however, I now need to figure out what he was lying for. Nobody does anything without a motive – I just need to understand what his is.

In addition to finding out what Greg's plan is, I also need to talk with Leonardo. He seems to have made a decision about us which I'm not completely sure I was included in. Sure, I've been an active participant in what we've done together but I'm beginning to question where we go from here. There was talk in the hut after our first kiss but Leonardo seems to be more affectionate than I was expecting – does that change anything we previously set out? I'm not one for public displays of affection – they distract others from their work – but he clearly is. We need to discuss if we're on the same page or not.

Before I can wallow in soul-baring questions any longer, I hear the door open. Slowly opening my eyes and blinking against the sun shining in, I take a couple of moments to adjust. When I do, Leonardo stands in front of me with a smug smile on his face.

"Good morning! It's a beautiful day." He smiles.

I groan and pull the comforter over my head, basking in the quiet darkness for a few blissful moments before Leonardo tugs it back, his lips pulled up in the corner from amusement. He stares at me expectantly and the fact that no-one else is in the room replies forces me to do so.

"It's not a beautiful day. It's a bright day. I don't like it." I frown.

Slowly sitting up, wary of my pounding head, I run a hand through my messy blonde hair and try to tame it down. Other than that, I don't do anything to my appearance. If Leonardo is into what we've got going on, he's just going to have to accept my messy morning appearance. Smiling softly, he sits beside me, shifting until both of us have our backs against the wall, our feet hanging off the side of the bed.

Opening up the towel wrapped package he brought with him, a small stack of toast sits on a plate. Reaching my hands out, I huff when I'm inches too short.

Keeping my hands outstretched, I turn to Leonardo pleadingly. "Toast. Please."

Laughing under his breath, he takes one from the stack and by-passes my hands. Holding it up for me to bite, there's a moment of stubbornness between us before I give into the temptation. Taking a bite, I roll my eyes at Leonardo despite my gratefulness that he brought me food.

"Worth it?"

I nod. "Toast is always better than porridge. How did you get it?"

"Let's just say Evelyn is doing worse than we are and has a weakness when hungover." Leonardo shrugs.

Starting on my second slice, I smile at him. "Wonderful."

We finish the food with constant chatter in the air. He distracts me from the numerous side-affects of alcohol that are currently going on in my body by keeping me talking. The toast settles my stomach and water helps my head – I refuse painkillers, there's no need to waste stock like that. Soon, I begin to feel normal my responsibilities coming crashing back down on me.

"I should be in defense." I say, sitting up straight and beginning to move off the bed.

Leonardo stops me with a hand on my knee. "Stop. Matt allowed you to have the day off and I'm leader so I'll go in later. You can relax."