Chapter Ten - Competition

Chapter Song: Till' I Collapse - Eminem

~~~~

I was being pulled in different directions and I didn't know what one to follow. There were too many chances, too many possibilities – the number of regretful decisions outweighed the positive ones and I found myself being wary of every step I took. Camp suddenly felt chaotic and my mind couldn't catch a rest. Nor should it, I needed to meet every request that was being thrown at me.

It started after helping out in food. Apparently, people in food like to gossip and my name, already known, spread like wildfire around camp – this time, with a reputation attached to it. I had obviously impressed some more than others, as this reputation varied with who you spoke to.

Some called me helpful, selfless, determined. Others, not so much. I had received glares from people I had never met before as they muttered drama queen and problematic behind my back. I heard it all, but none of it bothered me. I had been called it before and I was sure I would be called it again. It was those with positive things to say that reignited a spark of determination within me. A small flare of believing that maybe I could win over the camp and become defense representative.

At this stage, I was begging for it. I would take anyone on to take that position. Days passed in a blur, but there was never any sign of Greg in the defense base. I would know, too, since I practically live here. People came in and out, motivated or not, and did the task they were assigned to. Greg never showed.

I prayed that maybe he was doing some good for defense somewhere else. Maybe I would have an ally. Not that I need one. The defense base does, however. My high hopes were crushed two days ago when I spotted Greg laughing in the middle of the canteen in late afternoon. His large frame was sprawled across two tables. If I hadn't been spying, which he could use against me, I would have taken him down right there.

"Audrey? You with us? We need to unpack these knifes that you ordered. Super brilliant idea, by the way. Nice and light." Matt groans as he shoves another box up onto the table.

I roll my eyes and shove his shoulder. Putting a smile on my face, I muster up a sincere tone to say, "I'm full of good ideas, thank you for recognizing that."

"Ugh. Just lift them." He grunts, picking up another one.

Budgets had been submitted a week ago and like clockwork, the delivery arrived as it usually did. Defense was finally getting some equipment and I felt proud that I had helped – okay, practically forced – get it here.

I bend down and pick up the box with relative ease which costs me a wide-eyed stare from Greg. I shrug and mouth training works before carrying on. By the end, despite my strength, a thin sheen of sweat had built up across my forehead. Breathing heavily, I slot the last box into place with an accomplished smile on my face.

The grin fades when I spot Elise in the corner with her stance all wrong. The boxing bag looked like it was doing more harm to her, than her to it. I let out an agitated sigh and cross the room towards her. I cannot watch people train badly; it frustrates me. Plus, in this world, you can't train wrong. You train wrong, you die quick. It's basic sense that not everyone in this camp seems to have figured out yet.

"Elise," I call across the open-plan base whilst approaching. "I hate to disturb, well actually I don't but you're doing that all wrong."

She turns with a frown on her face, sweat trickling down the side of her forehead due to exertion. "Really? I am? I thought I was doing it right."

"See how much you're sweating and how little your hands hurt?" I question. "You're putting in too much effort into your body. Center yourself."

She frowns again. "I can't really do meditation, can I?"