Chapter Twelve - Morose

When I woke up, I lay still. I don't shift or allow my breathing to falter. I play dead like an animal and hope that my predator won't see or hear me. Listening to the quiet of the room, I account for Ruby's breathing but I can't detect anyone else's. Strange. Knowing Evelyn will be out serving the early-risers, I squint at the frame above me when I can't hear any breathing.

My body slowly comes into terms with the brutality it was thrown into yesterday. Prickles of pain rush up and down my arms whilst I slowly stretch my legs out, feeling the seized muscles groaning in protest. Memories of Greg's fists flying towards me flash through my mind, but I squeeze my eyes shut tightly – trying to press the memories out through sheer will.

Rising slowly, I pause intermittently to stop but nothing raises my suspicion. Eventually standing up straight, I peek over the wooden barrier fearfully only to be met with an empty bed. Its covers are straightened, the bed cold. As though no-one slept in it. I find myself wondering if Leonardo and I's moment was a figment of my bashed-up imagination.

"He left an hour ago. Smiled at you before leaving, too." Ruby's soft voice interrupts my over-thinking.

I curse under my breath and turn to face her. Presenting her with a placid smile, I take a deep breath. "Strange."

She sits up from her bed, her previous sleepy state obviously an act to lull me into safety. Her eyes shine with a knowing glint and I groan. Slowly, her smile morphs into a grin before she launches herself off of the bed. Her thin arms wrap around me and squeeze tightly despite their fragility. I stand still and don't return the hug.

"He likes you!" She squeals, hopping from one foot to another.

I face her with a straight face. "No. He just wanted to help. He's gone now anyway."

Her arms drop from around me as her eyes become wide. Sighing, she faces me with her hands on her hips. "He's gone after spending the night making sure you were okay after you were taken down by someone double your size."

I turn away from her and reach for the door, desperate to get away from the walls which are beginning close around me. My breath catches as I feel her hand on my arm.

"Let me help you." Ruby offers in a soft voice, maternal qualities sparking up in her.

I pull my arm away and let her hand drop. "I'm fine, Ruby. Don't worry about me."

~~~

The next two days pass in a blur. I sink into a deep cave of self-preservation which claws at me until I'm gasping with self-hatred. Weakness consumes me, distracts me. My body begins to slowly recover in the short time but my mind doesn't. I begin to question if it ever will.

Calls of abuse follow me in the echoing corridors. Their defiance of my presence here has erupted into hateful calls wherever I turn. The canteen, the defense corridor, the bathroom.I've reverted back to taking a corner of the defense area and not letting anyone distract me. They couldn't even if they tried.

I was going to get better, quicker, stronger. Soon there would be no question if I could take down someone. There would never be a question. I was going to be the best. My doubters would weep once I was done – I would make sure of it.

A hand on my shoulder halts my incessant punching. Any technique I had previously was destroyed in my frantic punches. My body pushing itself to the limit so that I could become stronger. I spin around harshly and drag a hand across my forehead, wiping off the beads of sweat that had gathered there. Matt frowns at me with dissatisfaction and I raise an eyebrow in question. He motions to my curled fists with a frown and I let them drop to my side in surrender.