Chapter Eighteen - Attack

Chapter Song: Ride – Lana Del Ray

~~~~

Obviously, the spare clothes extended to the males in the camp. Leonardo approached me with a smile, a white button-down shirt stretched across his broad chest with black slacks. No tie, sleeves rolled up to his elbow. He looked teasing, designed to bring me down. I hated that I loved it so much. No matter what conflicting emotions rolled though me, I found myself unable to look away. He walked slowly, purposefully. A hive of expectations seemed to surround us, but the prospect didn't scare me, it excited me. For the first time, I felt ready to face him.

"Evening, ladies. Looking wonderful." He greets, addressing Ruby and I.

Ruby flushes. "Thank you. Do you want a drink? I think you do."

Leonardo laughs. "Don't worry, Ruby. I can get one myself."

"I'll get it. Stay here." She waves a hand in dismissal of his claim. Ruby shoots up from the table, winks obviously at me and scuttles into the crowd.

I laugh, enjoying her not so subtle plan to get Leonardo and I together. She's always been our biggest supporter. I wonder for a moment if Leonardo knows that, but the way he watches Ruby walk off with a mischievous grin indicates that he does. Once Ruby's no longer visible, Leonardo turns and looks me up and down. I freeze where I sit, my defenses not as strong as they once were.

"You look stunning," He smiles, sitting down beside me. "I'm surprised you came."

"Really?" I question, quirking an eyebrow.

He takes my hand and squeezes. He lets it go after, following his usual cemented rules of never pushing. "Yeah, I thought you would be hiding in defense."

"Ruby." I sigh, it was all the reason he needed.

Grinning, he runs a hand through his brown hair. "Our supporter."

So he did know. I smile back at him and observe the room, my eyes needing a diversion before I fall further. I was in a precarious position that tested all of my morals and I still wasn't sure what ones I should surrender on. Maybe all, maybe none. Were the feelings worth it?

The music becomes louder after a couple of moments, beckoning people onto the dance floor. Leonardo meets my eye in an instant and our communication is silent but meaningful. He holds out his hand and I take it, standing up. His eyes trail down my whole body and, similar to the first time, I give him an unimpressed look once he meets my eyes. He quirks an eyebrow at me and shoots me a boyish smile, saying no more on the matter as he guides me to the dance floor.

The raised platform is finally coming into its uses tonight as the music is controlled from it. Two people work the music, their bodies moving in time to it.

Leonardo pulls me into a waltz position as the music slows with stunning elegance. Our hands link, his other landing on my waist and never trailing any further. I place my hand on his shoulder and we begin to move with the other pairs around the dance floor. Oakwood wouldn't dream of doing something like this, but I find myself thankful that I get to experience it. It's the closest I'll ever get to a high-school dance.

When Leonardo spots me observing the raised platform, a soft smile takes over his face. "See? It is useful."

"How did you know I thought it wasn't useful?" I question.

"I saw you glaring at it once during breakfast, speculated that you weren't the biggest fan."

I shrug. "It would still be better if there were weapons underneath. More practical."