Prologue: I'm Free

~ I'm Free ~

Someone stomped down the stairs. The pattern is an upbeat one, about two seconds in between each step.

It can only be Shigaraki, or Mr. Handy-Man as I used to call him to get on his nerves.  That, of course, was when both he and I were younger and I could get away with small things like that.

I've learned better now.

Kurogiri's steps are lighter and slower, with the slight tapping of his dress shoes. So it can't be him in the slightest of chances.  He was more... elegant than this.

The footsteps get louder and louder.  Before I knew it, my cell door is thrown open by none other than Shigaraki.  Bingo.
His sadistic laughter bounced off the dirty cement walls, "Izuku" I stand up and wait for his instructions, "Come with me upstairs, we have a few... guests."

I nod, instantly regretting it from the searing pain in my neck it caused.  The cut on my neck seemed to grow at the action and I hoped it didn't reopen.

I absentmindedly follow him to the bar, each step bringing a new course of pain. Or, well, what I am pretty sure is pain.  Everything feels dull now, not hurting nearly as much as everything used to.  It was pain, but it was more like the echo of pain.

I guess I'm just used to it.

You'd get used to it too if you were here for years.

Someone grabs the back of my—old and falling apart—shirt and throws me on the ground. I collided headfirst with the flooring, adding to the number of bruises on me.  My head was foggy and my vision spun before settling.

Looking around I see Shigaraki, Kurogiri, and a few of their 'friends'.

"Now Izuku, I see you didn't listen to my good friend yesterday," Shigarki said tauntingly as he walked around the room slowly, his eyes glaring at me from behind the rotting hand that is practically glued onto his face.

The glare didn't seem to be as hostile as it is to others.  I don't know if that means I'm on his good side, or he just doesn't care.

Yesterday, whoever it was had a quirk that allowed him to heat up himself to about 120 degrees. It was a pretty useless quirk except for close contact fighting and perhaps heating up weapons.  It burns.
He had wanted me to hurt a civilian that he brought to the base last night, and I couldn't do it.  She had such a sad face and was begging, pleading for them to spare her. I ended up letting her go and escape by causing a distraction.

I had cut my own neck instead, leaving a clear path for the female to escape as the others made sure I didn't die.

Don't worry, I didn't hit anything important.

But they had to all make sure I lived.  They had to make sure I didn't hit anything important.  Because killing me without permission... well, it would get them in a lot of trouble.

Shigaraki grabbed me, all five of his fingers touching my arm.  A small yelp escaped my mouth before I could bite down on my lip to silence myself.  The feeling of my nerves being disintegrated... the feeling of my nerves and skin melting away into dust is a painful one.  "You see little Izu, you are useless," his voice was sharp, his grip tightening, "you can't even listen right.  So we have all finally decided that it's better for you to rot in the streets than be here.  You haven't learned to listen, and if anything you are just getting in our way now... you aren't any fun anymore."

He chuckled, letting go of my arm, letting me slump over.  "Maybe once you die, you will finally be useful for something."  Something heavy hit my head, and I fell to the floor.  "Well, to the bugs, that is."