~ C h a p t e r 67 ~

~ A Lead ~
> 2638 words <

It was silent, the meeting room antsy as anticipation clung in the air, the heroes all on the edge of their seats.

Tic, tic, tic. The clock on the wall made a small rhythm as the seconds pasted, and Aizawa swears from this alone he was sweating bullets. The room was stuffy with anxiety and worry, and it didn't help that the greenette in question sat quietly at the end of the table.

His eyes were dull as he stared down at the table. Izuku was stiff in his seat-so still in fact that the only reason Aizawa knew Izuku was alive and breathing was his subtle blinking and his chest moving from every in take of air.

When Izuku finally spoke, his voice was monotone-creating an eerie atmosphere to the room.

"They kept me locked up in a cage at first."

Aizawa's footsteps echoed aimlessly around the hallway of the school as he neared Nezu's office, stress poking and prodding at him-the thought of sleep at this point made the man laugh.

"At first?" The detectives question seemed louder than it actually was as it bounced off the walls. The sound of pen dragging across paper from the detectives note taking was yet another background noise.

None of the teachers spoke, wanting to make sure Izuku told his side of the story. They didn't want to push and or prod the greenette, but they needed to do this.

All eyes were on the freckled teen, yet Izuku seemed unfazed.

Aizawa didn't know why his mind kept back tracking to earlier that week at the meeting...

Izuku nodded, the green curls slightly shifting with his movements as he clarified, "During the..." a look of distaste clouded Izuku's features as he paused, taking a deep breath, "Experimental months for the first... year or two-if I had to guess-I was in a lab-... a doctors office of sorts."

The greenette huffed, forcing more emotion into his voice, "After those days I had my own cell, sometimes I was in a dark room."

Aizawa won't lie, at first, he thought it would be like every other rare occasion this terrible event happens. How it'll affect him for the day, maybe a little longer, but it'll go away. What happened was done, he couldn't change that. He had to move on.

Aizawa thought he would manage to move on from it by now.

Nezu took another prolonged sip of his hot, steaming tea. He placed the sparkling cup down before folding his hands in front of himself. Nezu's expression was neutral as he spoke, "Shigaraki brought up the experiments... would you go into more detail, please?"

But for some reason, this time, it stuck. Aizawa felt sick during that meeting. He's sure everyone else did. It was so different because everyone in the room had a bond with Izuku.

They knew him personally. That's why it was different.

That's why he couldn't forget.

It was quiet once again as everyone awaited Izuku's answer. Aizawa won't lie, he has been... curious about this part as well, and he was intrigued about what the students answer would be.

Izuku's jaw tensed as he brought his hands down to his lap. A second passed by as Izuku thought, the clock still ticking away the seconds...

Tic, tic, tic.

". . . I'd rather not talk about that."

Izuku's voice was uncertain yet... more emotion laced his voice, a small tremble in his voice from the strain of acting even caught Aizawa off guard. It was unlike Izuku to force his voice to be... more cheerful-more normal.