Chapter 9: Promises

Promises

Today was the day. (Yes, you read me right, the day).

Entrance Exams were full of excitement and disappointment every year. Somehow, the teachers ended up dreading this event. Sure it was exciting to watch new talent, but there was only so much new talent to see. It just got boring at some point, and it always meant lots of paperwork after. So much paperwork.
But this year? This year, most of the UA staff were all sunshine and peaches. Excitement buzzed in the air, and no one was bored or dreading this event. This year they had something to be excited for: Hikari.

(Some) teachers were excited to see some new talent, but everyone was itching to know Hikari's answer. They wanted to work with him, it would be a change and an exciting change at that. What hero didn't want to work with Hikari? Any sane person could see his accomplishments and want to work with him, learn his secrets. Like how did he get around the city so fast? How was he so knowledgeable on villains and what kinds of items did he use? And really, who didn't want to ask Hikari to tell them who he was? Let's be frank, all the teachers, they all wanted to know who Hikari really was—not for any bad reasoning, but they could essentially use it to force him to get a hero license so that way they could work together more legally. Wait, force? Pshh, they wouldn't force him. Not at all. Nope.

Although, Nezu did want to blackmail him. Or kidnap him. Either or, really.

...Okay, so maybe that would be considered forcing him to get a license, but if it happens without Nezu knocking Hikari unconscious and signing the papers with him out, then is it really force?

Speaking of Nezu, he's been throwing a hissy fit all week. Giving the teachers extra work, and making the support classes make him more weapons to play with. His face has been in a pinched expression all week, only forcing a smile for the students, but even the students did not get let off easily from his wrath, having every student take mandatory state tests—that usually Nezu let them off the hook from—and those who did bad had mandatory cleaning punishments for the month. He was ruthless!

It's only been a week or two since the meeting with Hikari. You would think he would be in a good mood considering he actually got an illusive vigilante to meet with him, a very difficult task to do. Well, he was in a good mood for a few days, but then suddenly it was as if the devil himself snapped his fingers and decided to let a few of his demons play Posses The Intelligent Rat game.

Just what made this fury? Well. . . .

The lab results came in: "WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE WASN'T ENOUGH BLOOD?!"

In simple terms, Nezu was pissed. There went his one rare chance on finding out who Hikari was without force. And damnit! He did not want to have to use force on a vigilante who could very well just flee the country—

"We are sorry, Nezu," a blond said in a lab coat, "There wasn't enough."

"I put more than enough blood in that vial! I saw myself do it! With my own two eyes! There was enough in there for two blood tests!"

"A large portion of the blood was disturbed, making it unusable."

The principal groaned and hit his head on his desk. Damnit! And it didn't help much either that Hikari hasn't done any patrols lately. Couldn't he just, I don't know, fall down and scrape his knee enough to leave blood? Nothing fatal but enough for Nezu to get another blood test done. Tainted blood—how was the blood even tainted? AND WHY??? Nezu was going to have a heart attack.

Though, Hikari not doing any patrols? That fast made Nezu worry, did something happen to him? What if he got more hurt? They truly will never know what happened or what he was doing right now. But that worry was clouded over by his anger. Anger at the universe. He was so close—so close!—to solving this puzzle, he should had won, he would had won, but this unseen circumstance—!