Chapter 1: The Dragons

~ The Dragons ~

It's been three weeks since I've taken in Eri. She was confused about why I had the people call me Zuku, but when I explained to her it was part of my real name and that she could call me that too she was fine with it.  She also understands that if anyone asks for my name she is to say Zuku.  She knows my real name—Izuku—but she knows to not call me that.

I couldn't be more thankful.  How was a kid like her so understanding and smart?

I lived on the top floor of a breakfast restaurant (well, breakfast restaurant during the morning, café for the rest of the day).  I got free rent as long as I worked at the restaurant with Kai.  I was one of the few staff, and of the few staff me and Kai worked the most.  I also get free rent if I make, and I quote from Kai: "Magical Iced Coffee That Gives Dead People Sugar Highs."

So needless to say, I'm currently sitting down with Eri on the insides of the counters.  I am are putting cookies in the display case while Eri is coloring what looks to be a tree in her new sketchbook.

I've has learned that Eri is five years old, and she's the most precious thing in this universe. I have even already sworn to protect the little one and Kai has grown on Eri as well.  Sometimes, Kai will just kidnap Eri to watch her.  She acts like an aunt to her.  It was kinda cute.

I turned my attention to Eri, draping an arm around her shoulder and leaning over her to look at her drawing.  "Ooo, Eri!  Your art is really nice!"  She giggles, a happy smile on her face as she adds more green.  "What is it?"

It looked like a green bush with a... is that a top hat?  It had a top hat on with a little flower.  It was cute.

Eri giggles and holds the paper up, pushing it in my face.  "Zuku, can't you see it's you!"  She laughs again, "And next I'm going to draw auntie Kai!"

I couldn't help but smile.  She drew me?  My heart felt warm and happiness washed over me.  "Awww, E!  That's so sweet of you!"  I cooed, wrapping my other arm around her and pulling her into a bone crushing hug.  She smiled, hugging me back.  I found Eri's new nickname E just the other day, and Eri was still so happy whenever I said it.  She said it was her first nickname...

Just then, a tall bluenette ran into the restaurant.  She had on light blue high wasted jeans and a black shirt with pink flowers going up the sides. This is Kai, the owner of the breakfast joint slash café and the one obsessed with my coffee.

Kai is... how do I say this... a very hyper person.  She is always so naturally happy.  Once I asked her about it, and she said it was because of two reasons:
1) She could drink my coffee, that apparently, was better than what the heavens could make
2) My coffee was bringing in more customers and business was going really well.  In her terms, she was making "cash money."

That's how I learned Kai would do anything for money.  She is practically obsessed with it.

Kai ran over to the counter and grabbed her coffee.  I had made it just a few minutes ago so it would be fresh for her to have when she comes in.  This is how every morning went.  Kai gulped down the drink as if it was her lifeline.

And at this point it probably is.

I sighed, "Kai, you didn't even opened the restaurant!  Go back and turn around the sign!  That's the first thing you should had done—and after that get your ass back here! We both know I can't cook or bake for the life of me so we are relying on you!"  I berated her, yet she only flipped me off.

I gasped and covered Eri's eyes, making the younger girl giggle.

"Just let me have my coffee in peace man! The deserts were made the day before, so really I just have to make more for tomorrow and let them rest!" She said back, waving her hand in a dismissing way.