> OUR HOUSE ON FIRE

alexa.

"mom just let me come home," i sob into the phone, my mom on the other line— very, very confused. "this was a horrible idea."

"sweetie what happened?" she asked, a little upset i interrupted her class.

"luke is such a dick," i complain, tears threatening to spill over. "he's just a dick and doesn't know anything about me, and i just hate it here. please."

"i cannot let you come home, it's too dangerous." she says a bit quieter, her voice a bit shaky

"mom please—"

"no alexa, you are not coming home. end of story." she hangs up before i can blink and comprehend what she answered with

i throw my phone on the carpet in front of me, putting my hands into my face and bringing my knees up to my chest.

i just want to go home.

"lexie?" i hear from outside the door, the voice sweet and quiet. "it's me, sierra."

i close my eyes before reopening them, getting up and unlocking the door, opening it to see a sympathetic smile and sierra.

"what is it?" i ask, my voice coming out a bit harsher than i meant it to.

"um, luke left for a little. i was wondering if you wanted to hang out, you know? girls day?"

and that's how we ended up on the master bathroom floor.

"what do you do for fun?" sierra asks.

"i really, really enjoy writing and photography." i mumble softly, looking at my newly painted nails.

"really? wow, i never really truly got into things when i was in highschool."

"ah— yes, i truly enjoy the ambiance of the highschool extra hobby classes—"

then the front door is opened, and slammed. i give sierra a frightened look and she gives me a concerned one back.

crash.

"is that luke?" i whisper, my voice low.

"luke?" sierra yells out.

that is not what you do if you hear something unidentified in your house, sierra.

she helps me get up off the bathroom floor and we slowly walk down the stairs and to the living room.

and there he is. drunk of his ass, luke hemmings.

"luke what the hell?" sierra watches him as he turns around, little giggles coming from him.

"baby!" he yells softly, and smiling a goofy smile. "where's lexie?"

"behind me— luke, are you drunk?" she gasps, and walks toward the drunk man.

"yes! i loooooove alcohol," he emphasizes the word love.

his eyes catch mine, and his face lights up. "lexie!"

he points to me and sierra sits him down on the couch.

"sit here, do not move. i'm gonna get you water and advil." sierra mumbles. "you are so going to regret this tomorrow." she manages out a laugh, and leaves the room.

luke rolls his eyes playfully, and looks to me.

"lexlex, cmere." he says, suddenly having a sober hint in his voice.

he opens his arms, and i am stunned.

i hesitate before walking towards him, standing in front of him.

"i'm sorry." he hums, his eyes filling with tears.

i made a grown man cry.

"luke what— don't cry," i quickly say. "calm down."

he opens his arms wider, "can i hug you?"

i hesitate again, giving him a half-asses hug and him pulling me down all the way, cuddling me almost.

this feels awkward.

his arms are in a protective position, and he starts stroking my hair.

dare i say, that i'm getting tired from his actions.

"is she asleep?" i heard luke ask sierra as she walks in. "i don't want to wake her up."

"she's asleep, lu." sierra says, pushing hair out of my face.

this feels so weird.

"i miss home." he says softly, "i miss being a good big brother, not that i ever really was."

"i just want her to forgive me, and let me in again. let me be her big brother." he says, but then goes to a lower octave. "she's hiding something."

my heart skips a beat, wanting to widen my eyes as what he said. how did he know?

"i haven't heard from my dad in a while. should i ask him?"

my heart skips a beat, again. fuck.

"andy is amazing, what could he possibly be doing?"

"no honey, you're not understanding what i'm saying. when i asked mom if i could actually do this, she sounded like she was begging me. and if alexa asked to go home, say no."

and with that, sierra told luke he was probably imagining things and that he should go to bed. i thought he would drop me off in my room but he didn't.