Prologue

Nikko

My earliest memories involved Todoroki. He was in and out of my life for as long as I could remember. There was a really long stretch where we didn't see him but he came back about four years ago. I'd always been fascinated with him, but I didn't understand why until two years ago.

****************************

It was my sisters' birthdays. They were turning eighteen and Todoroki came by for a surprise visit for the weekend. He had a girl with him that I instinctively didn't like, which was really strange because she was nice. I hated her on sight. I spent most of the party glaring at her, much to my dads embarrassment.

I can't remember most of the night other than my intense dislike of a stranger. But sometime during the party, I realized why I hated her. I walked into our kitchen that night to find her wrapped up in Todoroki's arms, her hands buried in his hair as they kissed.

At fourteen, I hadn't gone through my first heat yet, but in that moment, I was flooded with desire. Somehow, I managed to flee the kitchen before I burst into tears. I didn't know what was wrong with me, but I was furious. I wanted it to be me. It should be my hands in his hair and he should have been kissing me. I missed the rest of the party and a week later I had my first heat. Todoroki has starred in all my fantasies since that first heat. He's never looked at me but that hasn't stopped me from wanting him to be mine.

******************************

I shouldn't have been surprised, really. Mitsu always got what she wanted. I should have prepared myself for this, but I hadn't. They went to the same college and she was always talking about him. So I really should have guessed that one day, she would come home and announce that Todoroki was her boyfriend. Not only that, but they'd been dating for a year and were thinking about getting married. But why today of all days? How could she do this to me? It was my birthday and I'd had plans! I was finally going to convince Todoroki that we were meant to be together.

Instead, my evil older sister was parading around the house with him, smirking and looking pleased with herself. My dad was thrilled. He'd wanted Todoroki in the family since he was a boy, and nothing would make him happier than for them to get married. My father didn't say much. I knew he liked Todoroki, but no one was good enough for his kids. It was just the way he was. We were all sitting down to dinner that my father made. It was my favorite, but I couldn't even enjoy it. I was too busy glaring at my sister, who completely ignored me.

Harmoni sat next to me with her boyfriend Jack. He was nice enough, but even though he was an alpha, I wasn't interested in him. I hadn't met an alpha besides Todoroki who I wanted. I didn't care that he was older, or that he thought I was too young for him. I knew he was perfect for me. But my stupid sister was trying to ruin it for me.

"Nikko? What's wrong?"

I looked over to see my dad frowning at me with his kind green eyes. As the only omega child, I was the most sheltered. He was always worried about me. I shrugged and glanced back towards my sister, only to find Todoroki looking at me. I could never tell what he was thinking, but I barely managed to stop from squirming in my seat. Having his eyes on me always filled my stomach with butterflies. I could feel my face start to heat and hurriedly looked away.

"Nothing, I'm fine dad."

"But you haven't touched your food."

I looked down at my plate and moved the food around on. My father was an awesome cook, and the chicken carbonara he made was my favorite, but I was so mad at my sister that I couldn't eat anything.

"I'm not hungry."

"Are you feeling ok?"

"I'm fine!"

Sometimes, I wished I'd been born an alpha too, or at least a beta like my other sister Avalyn. I hated how overprotective my parents were with me. My father raised an eyebrow at me and I flushed. I knew what that look meant. He didn't allow anyone to disrespect my dad.

"I'm sorry, dad. I'm fine, really. Just not that hungry yet."

He looked at me and frowned, trying to figure out what was going on. Sometimes I wondered if he knew about my secret crush. But he couldn't have. Because if he did, he'd never allow me to be around Todoroki. Conversation resumed around me and I toyed with the food on my plate. I should have been having a great time, but I couldn't. Todoroki was right there, but I couldn't say anything. When he got up to use the bathroom, I saw my chance.

"You're right, dad. I think I'm not feeling well. I'm going to go lay down."

He looked at me in concerned and started to stand. Shit! If he followed me, I couldn't enact my plan. I didn't care that my sister wanted him. He was mine! And I was going to prove he couldn't live without me.

"Do you want me to go with you, honey?"

I barely stopped myself from rolling my eyes.

"No. It's ok. I can make it to my room, by myself. I think I'll just go to bed early. I'll open my presents tomorrow."

He still looked concerned, but let me leave without following me. I walked slowly from the dining room and caught Todoroki just as he came out of the bathroom. My breath caught in my throat. I'd been fascinated with him as long as I could remember, although it wasn't until two years ago that fascination turned to desire. It wasn't even that he was good looking, although he certainly was, there was just something about his presence that spoke to me. I was meant to be his. I could feel it.

He raises an eyebrow at me and I realize I must have been staring at him for a while. I felt my face flush red in embarrassment. Now that I was face to face with him, I didn't know what to say. I didn't know how to approach him. So I did the only thing I could think of, I lurched forward, went up on my toes and planted a sloppy kiss on his lips. He jerked back in surprise.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?"

This wasn't how it was supposed to go. He was supposed to be overcome with desire for me. We were supposed to be together. I felt tears prick my eyes and bit my lip so I wouldn't cry. He gently grabbed my arm and tipped up my chin.

"Hey. Don't cry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. But you're just a kid. And an omega. You can't do things like that. If I had been any other alpha, that would have been an invitation for something you aren't ready for."

I wanted to argue with him, but I knew it wouldn't do any good. This was the most I'd ever heard him speak at once. I knew he wasn't hotheaded like most alphas were. He was usually quiet and thoughtful. His eyes were always kind when they weren't full of pain. I wanted to wipe his pain away.

"I'm not a kid. I'm sixteen. And I know what I want. I want you."

I watched as he eyes widened then darkened with lust before clearing. It happened so fast, I wasn't sure I'd actually seen it. He gently stroked my cheek with his thumb, wiping away the tears that escaped.

"Someday, an alpha will be lucky enough to claim you. An alpha much better than me. Don't be in a rush to grow up."

I watched as he walked away. I was more determined than ever to make him mine.