Thirteen

𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍.

"I think my visions getting better!" I happily say over dinner with my parents two weeks later, it was now the beginning of September. Harry had to go back to London for some work stuff for the weekend so it was back to just my parents and I.

"Good! That's great to hear sweetie" my dad praises. "Very great" my mum smiles. After I finish my dinner my mum takes my plates and excuses me to my room.

Messages:
Sofia - Hey wanna ft?
———

I send her a quick message telling her sure I'd love to FaceTime. I was at the stage in my recovery where I was able to see my screen of my phone and iPad if I had my text on the largest size.

I tap on her contact for FaceTime and let it ring waiting for it to connect.

"Hey!" Her face appears on my screen. "How's recovery going?" I shift a little to find a comfortable position to hold my phone in and then answer. "I won't lie, it was very hard to loose all my vision abruptly like I did. I wasn't warned it would happen and I had never experienced it before, yeah it's been a challenging few weeks or so" I say honestly.

"I bet, abrupt change is always hard but when you finally come out of it or adjust to the change you look back and realise how much you've grown and gotten stronger from that experience. In other news, I'm glad your vision is coming back again right?"

One of the things I loved about her was her positivity and optimism. She always knew how to find the good in shitty situation and cast that energy onto other people. She was truly inspiring and such a great friend.

"Yeah! Slowly but surly and thanks for the inspirational speech I loved it thanks" I smile at my screen showing her how munch I appreciated her kind words. "Anytime love. Will always be here to cheer you up."

Sofia wasn't always this positive it took a long journey to get to this point. She was the middle child of her siblings always being forgotten about. Either her eldest brother was getting all the attention with being the best on his rugby team to then getting a scholarship to a uni in London or her youngest sister needing to be waited on hand and foot by her parents because she was a drama queen to put it lightly.

Sofia spent a lot of her tween years without much guidance from her parents and it made her depressed and hostile towards her entire family. When we were about twelve she went off the rails taking drugs in the back of the school with the older kids.

Why did she do this? Well, she had nothing to loose. No parents to care or know what was doing. No one to tell her she was making bad choices. Nothing. She didn't care anymore she wasn't living she was just existing. Existing to cause pain upon her family and retaliate against them for basically abandoning her.

After three long years of her impulsive reckless behaviours of taking drugs, drinking, and stealing her mums car at one point. I sat down with our schools guidance counsellor and begged and begged to get her help until they stopped using the "there's nothing we can do she's a minor this is something her parents need to deal with" excuse.

I told them everything, I told them her parents weren't going to do crap for her because they didn't even take care of her anymore the twelve year old was basically raising herself at this point and enough was enough. Something had to change or her future and body would be ruined.