Twenty six

𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐒𝐈𝐗

We slowly but surely started falling into a routine once we had gotten back from our trip to New York. I had started online school, attending group therapy sessions that we switched to down here, and Harry was busy finalising everything that had to be done for his fast approaching album release. My parents hadn't contacted any of us one bit since I moved out. Not even a peep to ask how I was doing. Just nothing.

I oddly have been okay without the contact. I think it makes things easier to not have a constant reminder of them. I was starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I felt like my life was getting better. I was getting happier, I was learning (with Harry's help of course,) how to be more independent as a visual impaired woman too. He had even started to teach me how to cook. He labelled everything in the kitchen in big bold font so I could see it and went over how to do things over and over until we both felt confident that I could do it on my own.

As we turned the corner into December, the weather was only getting harsher and the days darker. I glanced outside at the neighbourhood street with colourful cars all aligned in front of every house. It was another typical cold glumly afternoon. I had just submitted the last assignment for the day not that many minutes ago and was now waiting for Harry to come home from work.

I decided to make some hot coco and now back to sitting on the couch blowing on it to cool it down a bit - it felt like the right thing to do after finishing school on a winter day - tuning in and out of the YouTube video I wasn't too interested in when I felt cramps start to creep up in my lower stomach. At first I ignored it until it got to the point It started getting to where it was the only thing I could focus on. Of course, it was the beginning of the month, my period was due. Fucking fabulous.

Through my groaning and focusing solely on hitting on my stomach to try to relieve the discomfort, I don't hear Harry entering in through the garage.

"Uhh, baby? You okay? Why are you pounding on your stomach?" His worried voice instantly makes me stop what I'm doing and I turn my body to face him.

"My period is due, I have cramps," I dramatically sigh, slumping down in the couch some. Usually girls feel embarrassed to be so open with men about periods and everything that comes with it but it's nature. A normal thing that happens and I see no reason to be embarrassed to talk about it with someone just because they're the opposite sex and don't personally experience it.

"Here let me go get you some Advil, do you need any pads or tampons? I can go run to the store and get you a box." Harry asks all this in a sweet caring tone as he places all his things down on the kitchen island before coming to sit down next to me on the couch and rubbing my back.

"Yes, and yes, pads only please. I'm not sticking anything up my you know what that's gross," I scrunch my face up In disgust and Harry chuckles. "I love you," I plant my lips onto his and he moves his lips with mine in a sweet kiss.
"Love you too, I'm gonna head to the shop to get your things, what kind of pads do you use?"

I stop and pause at that question, not sure how to respond to him.
"I don't know. My mum use to buy them," I look down in embarrassment that I was an adult that didn't know what my own needs were.

"Would it help if you came with me and looked at them? Would you recognise which one she usually buys you?" He asks. "There's no need to be embarrassed, she's the one who should be embarrassed that she treated her teenage daughter like a child, incapable of doing things on her own," Harry rubs his thumb in circles on my back.