0.15

chapter 15

india, jj and pope watch from a screen as john b pokes the drone camera underwater. 

 the group had met at the docks in the morning, and while india and jj had gotten only a few hours of sleep, they had shown up anyways. 

jj leans above, india, watching the screen of the drone as pope makes adjustments on the controllers. 

"what is this right here?" he asks, going to press a button. pope smacks jj's hand away. 

"don't touch that" he turns to jj, slightly annoyed "i'm trying to work out this thing." 

jj furrows his brow at pope, slightly offended. below him india looks at the water, watching as kiara and john b swim into the surface.

the couple had decided that they were going to keep their official relationship status secret for a while, and india was happy. she liked having him all to herself, and she loved keeping it a secret, even if pogues weren't supposed to keep secrets from pogues. 

jj turns to look down at her, giving her a wink. india rolls her eyes before turning back to the drone screen. 

jj pats pope's shoulder "god bless geeks, pope. truly, man" he admires. the blond boy stands up from his crouch completely, turning to face the water as he puts his hands on his waist. "what would we do without you to control the drones?" he asks. 

"it's not a drone. it's an rov" pope corrects, not bothering to look at jj. 

jj rolls his eyes, leaning on the wooden fence of the dock. "shut up. it's too early for that right now"

india laughs quietly before standing up and pulling one of jj's arms over her shoulder so that he's hugging her. 

small displays of affection were fine, what they didn't want was the group to know that they were something real and official. to the gang, india and jj were still figuring things out. 

"hey look" john b calls out from the water "once we get the footage of the wreck, we'll bring it to a lawyer in town and file a formal claim" 

"it's such bullshit. why do we have to do that?" jj asks, clearly not caring about legal issues. 

"well, there is maritime salvage law" pope pitches in from behind india and jj. he walks until he's beside them. "you can't just go to the ocean floor and scoop a bunch of stuff up" he explains. 

"i know i know" jj snarks back "it's just lawyers aren't cheap, bro" 

"as soon as they see the footage they'll work for a comp" john b assures. 

india frowns, looking at john b. "how do you know all of that?" she asks, clearly intrigued. 

john b shrugs. "cause my dad said it, like, a million times" 

kiara turns to india, her head tilting to the side  "indi, isn't your dad a lawyer?" she asks. 

kiara's dad had actually told her all about india's family. she knew that they were probably the richest family in outer banks; even richer than the camerons, and that while they were good and hardworking people and good friends, but when it came to business the walkers knew how to scam their way out of things. 

india shrugs, sighing "he is, but i know him and he'll find a way to take some of that gold for himself, so i would prefer not to let him know until i have the money" she explains.