day 42

"Hi, Theo.

You know I'm not used to go straight to the point when it's about talking about anything with anyone. This is why I take so long to write you these letters — what was the last time I talked to you for two consecutive days? —, this is why I always write the first paragraphs always keeping in mind that I'm just being idiot enough to not tell you what happened.

I'm doing it now.

To be honest, nothing important happened. Remember I finished my last letter telling you I was willing to do anything to get Harry back unless bigger things happen, or something like that? Yeah, I was just joking. Trying to keep you entertained and keep myself laughing at the false hopes I gave you, because this motherfucking quarantine is not helping my sanity.

Neither Harold is.

Last night he was the one who called me via FaceTime. He put his cellphone aside him in the bed, then told me he couldn't sleep and asked if I could do something to make him fall asleep.

"Wait, you think I make you sleep? Oh, that's bad, mate", I said as a joke. 

(But I was convinced of that. Don't tell him.)

"No, Niall, it's a good thing. You're not boring, I'm not saying it." He said as an answer.

"Then why you want me to do something for you now?"

"Because I love your voice. Just that."

And, just like every other time he said a cute thing to me, I became nervous in a sudden. Memories of all the other moments when he used to make me show a shy smile in my lips came to my head and I couldn't stop myself from getting emotional. Thank God he didn't notice that — or, if he did, he just didn't talk about it with me. He has this power over me; the power of making me blush when things are getting weird between us, just because he indeed does not want things to get weird between us.

"OK. But I don't think a song will get you to sleep, Haz."

"Why not?"

"Because you're not the kind of man who sleeps when someone is singing next to them."

"You're not next to me."

I remember the five seconds of silence that came after he said those words. I wanted to cry, because, damn, he was right. I wasn't next to him — but I wish I was. And the silence made him realize what I was thinking, and he shared a smile with me through the camera, and we both realized we were thinking about the same topic.

"I'm gonna tell you a story, Harold."

"I'm listening."

"So, there was this day back in 2016. A very successful boyband had just announced a hiatus, a break in the career. Everyone was willing to build their own solo projects." 

I remember Harry's laugh. And I don't even have to tell you why he laughed.

"But two boys from this band were in love. They were already dating. The other two boys knew about their relationship, but they didn't mind. They were supportive. But back to the couple."

He laughed again. Stop laughing, Harry, I thought, I need to concentrate.

"They didn't know how to handle the relationship when the band went into hiatus. They knew they were supposed to live far from each other at the moment, but they didn't want to. So one of the boys just said in a moment of insanity, "hey, babe, why don't we live together?". And I'm just the narrator, but I swear to you, he didn't know how crazy the idea was until he said those words. And the craziest thing about it? The other boy said yes."

"Ni."

"What?"

"You're talking about us."

"Shush, I'm still not finished", he laughed again, and this time, I went along with him on it. "So, they moved together. One of them bought an apartment in London, the other one bought a flat in Los Angeles, so they could be together, literally, all the time. It was some mad chill in the beginning, but they were willing to make it work."

His smile disappeared at this moment. We both knew the next part of the story.

"And they worked. For three amazing years. Can you believe? Three years without killing each other and still making an amazing sex?"

We both laughed, louder this time.

"I believe you, Niall."

"Yeah. The next part of the story is kinda sad. They broke up. One of them was angry for reasons he thought were the right ones, but he only realized the mistake he did months later. And he knew it wasn't going to be easy if he wanted his man back, but he was willing to try."

"Still believe you."

Then he closed his eyes. Then he smiled. I smiled too. And we finished the call.

I love him, Theo."