day 103, narrated by Niall

[author's random note] 

WE HIT NUMBER 1 ON THE #COVID-19 HASHTAG RANKING OF THIS SITE. OK, it's a little problematic that such it's a #1 hit in a disease tag, but I just wanted to say thank you so much for reading this. Really. It means the world to me. 

[end of author's random note]

I'm nervous. Fucking nervous. I've been waiting here since the airport opened at 6 a.m., and I'm not even kidding.

Greg is with me. He came straight from Mullingar to see me as a surprise last night, but I ended up forcing my brother to sleep in the couch and come with me to see Harry in the airport. That's what brothers do, I guess.

"Niall, I swear if you keep shaking your legs like this, I'm gonna rip them off."

"You would never do that to a brother who almost died of worse shit", I answer with an angry, impatient tone in my voice. "Now shut up."

"I bet you're gonna start talking again in ten seconds."

I count eleven seconds in my head just to piss him off.

"I'm nervous."

"God damn, you took more than ten seconds just to make me lose a bet?"

"Did you lose?"

"Yes, apparently."

"I'm not nervous anymore." I glance at Greg, and he just rolls his eyes.

I barely had a good sleep on the last few hours. I was trying to think of the first words I'll say to him once he comes up in my sight, the first things I'll say to make up for all the hurt I caused to him in the past months.

We're a fine line, but finally we'll be alright.

I can't hide a fucking big smile on my face when I see Harold with wheeled suitcases in each of his hands, his eyes showing the same amount of fear that mine were showing when I sat down at a chair to wait for him today. The fear of making everything wrong this time. The fear of regretting it. The fear of doing things too fast just to show some love.

I only stop thinking about those fears when he comes closer to where I'm sitting, with a white mask on my mouth and nose — government orders, at least for now. I wish I could rip it off my face, but I know I'd probably be arrested for that. He's also wearing his own mask, a black one.

"Niall." He calls me, my entire skin shivering with his voice on my ears.

"Harry." His name sounds like a song coming from my lips, and I know he thinks the same.

"Fun fact: I see us in black and white."

Because of our face masks. I hate this man's sense of humor at the same time I fucking love it.

"Stupid joke."

"You loved it. And I don't even need to take your mask off to see you smiling."

"Wish I could kiss you right now." I say, tangling my fingers on his hair.

"Oh, you guys can kiss later, I'm pretty sure", Greg interrupts our little moment by putting himself between us. "Now, shall we go before anyone in this place recognizes the both of you and make this airport an entire mess?"

"What is he doing here?" Harry's eyes are wide open now, in shock.

"He tried to make a surprise visit last night and I dragged him with me to pick you up", I shrug, taking one of his suitcases in my hands and letting my brother take the other one. "That's what brothers do."

"Shut up, I had no choice!" Greg screams in a sudden. "Oh, shit, sorry. We must run now that probably someone saw me screaming."

"You're right, let's go." I finish the conversation, while my eyes are still focusing on Harold.

He's here. With me. Thank God this quarantine is over.

[author's not-so-random note]

No. That was not the final chapter of "the quarantine diaries".

But the next one will be. Get ready for this.

[end of author's not-so-random note]