Changes

As we walk in, I can't believe this is real life happening to me right now. Sage wasn't lying when he said I wouldn't be disappointed, and I'm not. This place is unbelievably beautiful; it has tall ceilings and music artists all over the walls from musicians who have sung in this restaurant.

Famous people who were once like me trying to make it out on the streets to the big leagues are the most inspiring place I have ever seen, and I get to sing here. I couldn't be more grateful to be a part of this tonight. I'm going to owe Sage so big, and I can only guess what his first request will be.

"Come on; I have a reservation for a table by the stage. I wouldn't miss your first time singing on a stage in front of all these people. I want to be front row." Sage says with a giant open-mouth smile.

"Oh, of course, you called ahead. How would you have got me a spot if you didn't call and pull some strings?" I joked, but it was the truth. But I don't mind that he went through all of this for me. It shows me how much he believes in me and his faith in my music.

"OK guilty. I just wanted you to have the best night, and I didn't know when you would let me take you out again. So I had to take advantage of this opportunity. He says with a wink.

God, this man is too good to be true. But don't tell him that, then he will think he can do this kind of thing all the time. Although I am grateful for everything he has done, I don't want anyone to think I am using him for his connections. That's the last thing I need right now.

We get to the table, and Sage pulls out the chair for me. I smile up at him through my lashes. This man will either going to be my destruction or my salvation.

"Piper, would you like to start with some wine?" Sage asked as the waiter was waiting. I must have gotten lost in thought, and now they're both staring at me.

"Um, sure, white is fine." I smile and pick up the menu. It's been so long since I sat down with someone and just enjoyed a hot meal. I will savor every last bite.

"Bring us the best bottle of white you have. Thanks." Sage says, and he looks at me, interested in me and what I'm doing. Like I might order the whole damn menu. Ha, he would probably prefer that. I giggle, and Sage raises an eyebrow.

"Something funny little red?" He smiles, but I can tell he wants to know what's on my mind and more than what I'm giggling about—all in due time, Mr. Parker.

Our food arrived; I ordered a medium-rare steak with shrimp and a salad. Sage, however, got the salmon. I would have never guessed he liked seafood. I love it, but there's isn't anything I won't try.

"OK, so spill, why did you leave me so much money? If not for the clothes or food, then what?" I couldn't take it any longer. I needed to know why he found such an interest in me.

He wipes his mouth and stares into my eyes. I once again feel like he's looking deep into my soul. Like he can see the black marks all over it that other people have left there. One's I haven't got to heal yet.

"Do you realize just how beautiful and talented you are? I bet you haven't looked in a mirror and thought nice things about yourself. I could almost guess that people have wronged you in the past and weren't very friendly or loving to you. But to answer your question.

I did it because I see all the things in you. Day in and day out, you put the work in, you put heart in your songs, and you put love on the streets. You give kindness to people who don't deserve it because maybe they're just having a bad fucking day. But do you know what I see the most out of you?

A girl who wants one person to have a conversation with, One who will listen to what she is passionate about—someone to laugh with and go on adventures with, I don't want to help you with your dreams, little red. I want to be beside you while you make them come true. I like your conversation; I want your adventures. I want your secrets. And most of all, I want you safe." Sage smiles sweetly and rubs little circles on my hand with his thumb. I let out a shaky breath I didn't know I was holding and stared into his eyes. This man will most definitely be my undoing.