Chapter 29

"You can speak Chinese?" Yeosang asks, surprised. He was learning Chinese, but he couldn't make out what you said.

"She actually sucks at it," Hendery says, making you hit his arm. "But at least you can understand... somewhat."

"My mother is half Chinese," you say.

"Wow," Mina murmurs.

"I'm gonna go now," Hendery says before pulling you into a hug. "Come home soon, and for heaven's sake, Rae, learn to talk to your brother at school too."

You chuckle. "I will, Guanheng," you say before sitting back down on your chair.

Hyunjin glances at you. "Um, wow."

"I know right!" Yewon says, making you laugh.

You scrolled through your social media after finishing your lunch. You came across a post on instagram of an icecream parlour that recently opened. It was close to where you and San lived.

"San, do you want to go check out this new icecream parlour with me tomorrow?" you ask.

"Tomorrow? Is it a Tuesday tomorrow?" You nod. "I'm busy tomorrow, babe. How about we go on Wednesday?"

You smile. "Yeah, okay."

~

"Raena, it's your mom," Sakura says softly, handing you her phone.

"Hello?" you say.

"Why aren't you picking up your phone?!" your mother yells.

"It's on silent cause I'm studying," you answer.

"Your grandmother wishes to see you. Your father and I booked a flight for you and Sakura for tomorrow night. We sent you all the details."

"Why? What happened?" you ask nervously. You knew your paternal grandmother was suffering from coronary artery disease.

"She got hospitalized today and she barely has any time left."

"We'll be there, bye," you say and hang up. Both you and Sakura started packing and Dayeon helped too.

"I'll drive you both to the airport tomorrow night," Dayeon says.

"No, we'll take a cab," Sakura says while folding her clothes. "It'll take you nearly three hours to drive us there and come back."

~

The next day at school, your mood was completely down so you didn't really talk to anyone that much.

While you were in the school lavatory before lunch, you could hear some girls talking about your boyfriend. You stayed in the bathroom stall to listen.

"She was at Choi San's place last night. Didn't you see her Instagram story?" one of the girls says.

"Yeah, I was so surprised!" another girl says. "I heard her say that he's taking her to some matcha cafe in his area after school today."

"I can't believe he got back with his ex-girlfriend," the first girl says. "I thought he would date Ahn Raena." San has an ex-girlfriend in your school...?

"I heard that San and Raena were just fuck buddies for a while," the second girl says. You rolled your eyes. 

Once both the girls left, you got out of the bathroom stall. You washed your hands before making your way towards the cafeteria for lunch.

You just bought an orange juice since you had no appetite to eat after what you heard. You didn't believe what those girls said, but you were still going to check if whatever they said was true.

"What are you doing after school?" you ask San in a nonchalant tone. You notice how he slightly tenses up.

"I have some work to do with my family," he answers a little hesitantly. "Why?"

"Just asked," you say, ignoring the anxiety you felt. "I'll probably see you next week."

"Why?" he asks, confused.

The bell rings, signalling that lunch was over, and you leave without saying anything. San felt quite hurt that you didn't answer him.

"Are you both fighting?" Sihyeon asks San as she watches your form leave.

San shakes his head. "No, we aren't."

"She's been quite down the whole day," Mingi states, fiddling with his tattooed fingers.

"Yeah, I noticed that too," Jongho says, giving San a look. He could tell that something was up with San. 

San felt so guilty that he didn't even notice your mood today despite being your boyfriend. He thought about how he was going to make it up to you.

~

After school ended, you immediately went home and changed into something comfortable. You had two hours until you have to leave for the airport, so there was plenty of time for you to go to that matcha cafe.

You put the hood of your white hoodie up before entering the cafe. You sat at the back, eating some matcha coconut fudge while you waited for San to arrive.

When the glass door opened, signalling that someone arrived, you immediately looked up. 

You felt your heart drop.

You gasp. "What the fuck..."

-

End of Chapter 29.