▪︎ chapter two ▪︎

TWO

TWO

heartless

_____✵_____

Unlovable me stares at her attractive lean reflection in the floor to ceiling mirror for a long time. I wasn't even blinking. My eyes darted to my ribs prominently framing my abdomen. The purple lace lingerie I was wearing proudly showed off my jutting out hip bones and clavicle.

It was a lazy Sunday afternoon and I was in my hall-sized bedroom. Everything was so pink, starting from the freshly repainted walls to the bedspread. There were all shades of pink in my room that I was strangely feeling nauseous. I hadn't ever felt this before. I couldn't quite understand the reason behind my sudden dislike for my favorite color. Even I was wearing non-pink clothes every day.

There was a slight knock on the door. I had kept it ajar. There was no need to lock myself now. Even if I did, my parents would have least cared to check out if their daughter was doing okay.

"What is it Connor?" I ask, putting on a red sweatshirt and white cotton shorts.

"Dad called you downstairs...says he wants you to meet someone." I hear Connor's faint voice from outside followed by the shuffling of feet indicating he was gone to his own room which was beside mine.

"Fuck it" I curse loudly, stomping my feet to the tiled floor. I pull back my dark hair into a bun and move over to my desk completely ignoring the fact that I was supposed to go.

The blood-stained knife on the first rack of my bookshelf made me flinch. I had slit my arm exactly a week ago with this piece of stolen cutlery. If not for Connor, I would have been in hell by now. It would have been my funeral. Oh, how I imagined my funeral would be with Mr. and Mrs. Davenport shedding crocodile tears. HA HA!

But just when I was about to deepen the cut, my left hand soaking red and my face pale and feelingless, Connor had burst in to save his big sister. I had cursed myself for not locking the door before such an attempt. He had drove me straight to the hospital, lied to the suspicious authorities that it was an accident in the kitchen and had been there all the while when my parents didn't have the faintest idea what had been going on.

Normally, nobody ever came to my room so I had done away with the need to keep it locked. Audrey and Jae came on weekends but that wasn't much to worry. Nobody's gonna notice a failed suicide attempt of the 'it' girl Vanessa Davenport.

"Vanessa, are you coming dear?" My mother's high-pitched voice makes me snap back to reality. I groan for one last time before storming out and running down the fleet of stairs but I halt on the last step as I see the people my dad wanted me to meet. The Eastwood siblings.

"You were callin' me?" I ask my father with a frown.

"Ah yes Vanessa, meet my boss's children and the current owners of our company, Ian and Iris Eastwood..." Then he turns to look at them with his typical business-class smile, "This is my daughter Vanessa Davenport, she attends the same school as you."