▪︎ chapter nineteen ▪︎

NINETEEN

NINETEEN

player

_____✵_____

"This soup is too bland for my taste" I comment, putting down the spoon that clinked sharply against the bone china tray.

I was sitting in the cafeteria outside school because people from Green Oak Academy never crossed the gates of Winston Preparatory and here was my company: Ezekiel Cleveland.

"It was your choice coming here Vanessa, I had offered you to go for a smoke or something" he says, shrugging.

"Smoking is not always the way out, is it? Sometimes we need material food as well. And you already missed my birthday feast yesterday" I roll my eyes and take a bite of my french fries dipped in white sauce.

"I am amazed at your combination, is the soup just for show? " Ezekiel laughs.

"Oh well, pretty much true. This soup and salad thing doesn't work for me . If it did, I would starve myself to death" I snort.

I hadn't come across Ian since the time he dropped me at my house last morning. He hasn't even texted and I don't bother people unnecessarily. I didn't even want to see him but coming to school was good enough a reason to cross paths, if not intentionally.

"What are you thinking?" Ezekiel's raspy voice from in front of me snaps me back to the present.

"Uh, nothing. Just homework." I say, forcing a smile.

"I won't buy that. You're not a person who thinks about homework" he chuckles.

"It's just, umm..." I bite hard inside my cheek coming up with something new and if quick thinking was a race, I'd win. "I wanted to know if you think I am changing."

I perk up an eyebrow, quite satisfied with myself because I had successfully made him believe that I really was thinking about it.

"Oh, does my opinion even matter now?" he asks with a tired smirk.

"Be straight to the topic Zeke. I don't like beating about the bush" I state, wiping my lips with a napkin.

"Maybe yes, ever since the arrival of Ian Eastwood. You're not Vanessa anymore" he says, getting up and walking to the counter to pay the bill.

"Hey wait, I have already paid." I call out to him as I gather my backpack.

"Really? Why? I was supposed to treat you for not being able to come on your birthday, isn't it?"  He looked hurt by the way he furrowed his eyebrows and his face almost fell.

"Uhmmm, next time?" I smile nervously because the situation had become awkward by now and the brunette at the counter stared at both of us with full blown curiosity. The actual reason however, was that I didn't want him to expend much specially when he had to pay for most of education himself.