▪︎ chapter twenty-eight ▪︎

TWENTY-EIGHT

TWENTY-EIGHT

home

_____✵_____

The strong stench of unwashed coffee mugs fills my nostrils as I enter the kitchen the next morning. My stomach was growling and I regretted my decision of not having eaten my dinner properly last night.

To be clear, the texts from Audrey and Jae had instantly resulted in appetite loss. No matter how much I pretended to be a badass --- I was terrified on the inside.

I grab a Bone China bowl and poured myself some almond milk and Reese's puffs --- my go-to breakfast when Gabriella is not available. It was still very early and I knew I was the only human that was awake in this house.

Except my parents who had probably left for a business trip --- the coffee mugs on the basin implied so.

On usual days, I dislike eating cereal to the core -- but as they say, when hungry, one can devour anything edible. And so do I.

After I feel that my stomach is somewhat happy, I pull on some corduroy pants and a white crop T-shirt, my outfit for the day.

I was heading to Ian's house for the first time. But before that, I needed to talk to Connor.

Last night, my meet up with Stefan, Audrey and Jae-Hwa had been about an hour long but extremely unproductive. We were running out of ideas.

Stefan was half-alseep and Jae wanted  to bring up CCTV footages before the whole school. As expected, Audrey was the one disagreeing on being so impulsive and used facts to make her understand.

Overall, we were still stuck at square one.

Connor was awake and practicing problems for his science quiz when I entered his room.

He turns his head to smile at me, his eyes strangely identical to mine - glittering blue.

"I thought you had left for hanging out with your friends!" He says as I drag a bean bag chair to sit on.

"I will, but first I wanted to check on you." I answer, ruffling his hair.

"Vanessa, I'm perfectly fine! You should stop worrying your ass out!" he laughs, the break in his voice signifying the peak of puberty.

I pass him a sly grin and he raises his brows in question.

"You're growing up Connie." I state.