▪ chapter five ▪

FIVE

FIVE

addiction

_____✵_____

warning: smoking causes cancer.

The loud EDM music blasting through the speakers welcomed me as I set foot on the dance floor. Blue, orange, green and pink neon lights outlining bodies, everyone smelling of booze and sweat...typical late night party!

I was wearing a white lace dress, very unlike the other girls wearing shimmery clothes and high heels. I received quite a few glances because apparently I looked like the odd one out here. Even my footwear was just Prada sandals. But I wasn't here to groove to the disgusting rock and metal jazz they were playing. I didn't even have any idea whose house party it was. I had the address, the purpose and I came.

I could feel hands against my waist as I tried to push my way through the drunken crowd. On any other night, I would have allowed myself to sway along with the beat. I spotted Hannah Jenkins on the stage, in responsibility of the audio control. Yuck! The kind of music she was playing would never be approved of an actual DJ. I wished Jae-Hwa was here to see this insanity.

"Margarita or Bloody Mary?" I hear a familiar male voice close to my ear. Turning around, he grins widely at me as if I was the only one he had been wanting at this party.

"Stefan! You scared me" I roll my eyes as we sit down on barstools.

"I was just offering you a drink, baby" He says, smiling. Stefan Cahill was a tall, dark-haired, blue-eyed hunk and usually girls drooled over him, leaving out some exceptional cases like me.

"No thanks, you can go back. Dance and don't bother me" I say, getting up and walking up to the bartender. I ask him to pour me some regular soda.

"Seriously Vanessa? What got your panties in a twist these days?" He jokes and I punch back his arm in response.

"Fucking Ian Eastwood" I mutter before taking a huge gulp from the red solo cup.

"The new guy...oh! What did he do to harm you?" Stefan snorts.

"You don't have to deal with it." I say, keeping a straight face.

"Why are you so reserved? Just open up sometimes, okay? Like...you can share things with me ya know!" He says, shrugging.

"I think you're forgetting the reason we're friends. It's just bed matters, nothing crossing that line. And this is the last time I'm telling ya, better be where you are. Anyways, I gotta go" I say coldly, turning back and walking up the stairs to the rooftop of the building.

The crisp air was stinging my bare skin. I pulled out my hoodie from the backpack I was carrying. Contrary to the noise inside, the silence in the dark rooftop was enchanting. I could see all the lights of Adelaide right now, standing on the edge. It felt like paradise. Looking up, the stars glimmered at me. I wondered if it was nyctophilia in my veins.