▪︎ chapter twelve ▪︎

TWELVE

TWELVE

unlovable

_____✵_____

I had been using the flat iron since two years and I still couldn't learn how to adjust it to the perfect temperature. I smoothed out my somewhat straightened hair with some spray and take the final look at the mirror. The buttercup yellow dress looked beautiful, complimenting my skin. Unlike most people, I could actually carry off yellow. Oh yes, definitely not better than Jae-Hwa. You see, as bad as it seems, there always is someone better than me. Be it the Prima Ballerina Iris Eastwood or the guy acing the Anatomy class. I was never the best.

I shake off my thoughts and dab some mineral powder on my face. As per the instructions, I had to look striking for the evening. It was after all, a company-meet of Eastwood and Co. I had come to know from Iris on my brief phone call yesterday that they were basically Architects. Of course, Ian and Iris didn't have a degree but helped in the growth of business in the Adelaide branch. When I had asked about their father, she could not say much. I wondered why. Might be I would meet their parents today.

"Are you ready yet?" My mother knocks on my bedroom door. She only cared enough to visit my room on important occasions like this.

"Almost. I'll come downstairs in ten minutes." I strain my voice so that I did not have to get up and strike a conversation.

"That's fine, we are waiting." She says before walking away, tapping her high heels.

My phone beeps with a notification. There were two new messages from Ezekiel. I hadn't met him since the morning yesterday in front of the school gate.

zekecleveland: hey, Vanessa. :)

zekecleveland: if you haven't forgotten me already, care to call me?

Hitting the call button I waited for him to pick up. Ezekiel must have been hurt by Ian's words the previous day.

"Why would I forget you Cleveland?" I shout into the speaker as soon as he receives the call. Yes, I had weird ways of greeting people.

"Uh, you have been quite busy. Are you going somewhere?" He asks. I could hear the tingling of utensils in the background. Ezekiel Cleveland lived in a dormitory with four other people while his family was in New Zealand.

"Yeah, how do you know?"

"You just posted a picture on Instagram, duh!" He chuckles.

"Ah, well...what are you doing?" I ask as I put on my sandals.

"Cleaning the dishes. Where are you going, by the way?"

"Urgh...you won't believe I have to host at the company-meet, speaking of which, my parents are waiting." I roll my eyes. I mentally make a note to stop rolling my eyes so frequently.