▪︎ chapter four ▪︎

FOUR

FOUR

defeated

_____✵_____

Winston Preparatory has some unspoken rules which no one dares to break. The richer the kid, the more popularity he/she gets. The more beauty, the more attention. Sorry not sorry but everybody was a part of these ways, abiding by it year after year...yes, including me.

The deep violet Adidas sweatshirt hugs my body perfectly as I walk up the corridors to the second floor. I had pulled my hair up in a bun. On Jae-Hwa's insistence from last night, I had put on some makeup too. The auditorium was milling with the Junior and Senior year students, seated in the steel armchairs. I make my way to the front desk, between Mrs. Anthony and our Principal Reverend Mrs. Seinfeld. I could feel all eyes on me as I sit down, but I was so used to attention.

"Look at her confidence, sitting straight between the authorities" someone mutters from behind.

"She is The Vanessa Davenport, the ex-Prima, I wonder if that new chick will pass her today" another voice remarks.

"Dude, that girl is International level, don't underestimate Iris" I hear a girl say.

I almost snort at that. People have already started defending her now! I look over at Mrs. Anthony.

"When is she performing, ma'am? We all have classes" I say, in a matter-of-fact voice.

"Ah, she is in the backstage getting ready. Just some minutes" She smiles warmly at me but I could feel the tension in her voice. Maybe she could sense the undergoing petty rivalry.

The stage lights dim, the curtains are drawn and the crowd falls silent. For a moment I couldn't recognize the girl I was seeing with my own eyes. Iris looked ethereal in her wine red form fitting bodice and a perfect, cloud white tulle around her waist. She was radiating out her grace with each swift and smooth movement, the music making it all the more enchanting. And what was more elegant was the way she carried her million-dollar smile.

I was stunned in position when she landed perfectly like a swan after the final aerial step. The auditorium was bursting in applause when her performance ended. Even the Principal had gotten up to give her a standing ovation. I kept my gaze fixed to the stage, smiling slightly. Needless to mention, I was defeated in my idiotic attempt to keep her from being the Prima Ballerina. Iris Eastwood was a born ballet dancer.

A little while later, I met her on the backstage. She had changed back to her usual clothes and was busy removing her makeup with a friend.

"Congratulations!" I remark, making her turn around. She offers me the same bright grin.

"Thank you, Vanessa."

"It's yours! Keep the pride" I say before moving over to her and pinning the golden star-shaped batch on her sweater. Iris beamed at me.