▪︎ chapter thirty-two ▪︎

THIRTY-TWO

THIRTY-TWO

wounds

_____✵_____

The sky was bathed with stars. Everytime I craned my neck, I could see the milky way covering the night sky --- the North Star twinkling so bright it could burn you and, the constellations : I could never get enough of their enigma.

Weird how it was just November and the summer breeze was teasing my toffee brown strands. Oh, but it's Australia. And living in the Southern Hemisphere has its perks!

I am waiting for Ian. There were way too many questions that he needed to answer. But maybe it isn't as complicated as I am assuming it to be. He's five minutes late now and my anger level is rising up. If it were not for the stargazing feat, I would have drove to his house by now and dragged him out into the street.

"This is where you wanted to meet, huh? I don't understand your liking for abandoned places."

"Maybe because I myself am near-abandoned." I snicker as he sits down next to me.

"So what is it you wanted to say?" Ian asks, turning to look at me but I couldn't meet his eyes tonight. And it hurt.

"I really don't have any idea what you're hiding from me, Eastwood. I'd be glad if you just tell me the truth." I say curtly.

"What do you mean?"

"Just that, I know that you know something and you are intentionally not opening up to me. What am to you, Ian? A joke?" I turn aside to face him, the tear that had been threatening to fall finally escapes and Ian looks away, trying not to counter the storm in my eyes.

"Vanessa, can you please explain what caused you to say what you're saying?" He asks, exhaling.

"Hannah. I heard her speaking to someone over the phone. And she probably knows that you are aware of whoever hurt Connor." I say slowly, my voice cracking in between.

"And you just came here to accuse me based on some fragments of a conversation that you happened to eavesdrop on?" He shakes his head, as if I was being insane.

"Connor is my only real family, Ian. Despite being my step brother, he has never let me feel so. I can't understand why are you not speaking up when you know who hit him like that? You had the CCTV footages ---"

"Fine, I'll tell you. But I can't promise you are ready to hear it. I didn't want to hurt you Vanessa. But since you insist, I'll say it." He speaks, biting his lower lips while keeping his gaze fixed to the ground.