▪︎ chapter twenty-nine ▪︎

TWENTY-NINE

TWENTY-NINE

silence

_____✵_____

Iris Eastwood most certainly hadn't expected me here. At least her crimson cheeks and dilated periwinkle eyes said so. The embarrassment was real.

My eyes darted off to Zeke who was looking straight at me with a blank expression, his bushy eyebrows pinched together slightly.

Why am I even still standing and adding to the awkwardness?

"Uh --- didn't know you're here. Hello, Vanessa." Iris greets me, regaining her usual calm composure pretty quick.

"That's obvious." I snort.

"Vanessa what are you doing here ----- oh." It was Ian's voice, from behind me. He had been just a bit late to enter the scene and here he is, rendered speechless.

His jaw twitches at the sight of Zeke. He had made it clear a long time before that he doesn't like him. But today, he had an actual cause.

"Ian, he had just come here to help me with pre-calc." Iris mumbles, tucking a fiery red strand of hair behind her ear.

"Yeah, seems like Cleveland has run out of shirts then." Ian retorts and his angry undertone makes me flinch.

"Hey hey! Ian --- we can talk outside. Give them some privacy." I state, shooting a pointed look at him.

His expression is steely, but he complies and storms down the stairs.

I trail along.

The sun has set the nature ablaze and the mild breeze made the tulips and roses in his garden dance. It was a beautiful day, weather wise.

"What makes you think they don't have enough privacy already?" Ian snaps as soon as we are under the shade of the porch.

"Can you please lower your volume?" I glare at him and he looks away.

"Vanessa, I don't want my sister to date that boy." He sighs.

"What's wrong with Ezekiel? In fact, he is one of my best friends." I argue.

"Because ---" He stops midway, holding his breath and then going silent.

"Because what, Ian?" I place my hands on his arms, making him meet my eyes.

"He smokes."

"So do I. That can't be a reason, don't be silly." I snicker.

"You don't understand --- I don't want my sister to get hurt. I don't want a guy to break her heart." He explains.

"But why stop her from enjoying her teens?" I insist.

"I don't know, Vanessa. I am scared." He says, biting his lower lip.