▪︎ chapter twenty ▪︎

TWENTY

TWENTY

trouble

_____✵_____

"Are you really certain about this plan? I mean, we could even have a small picnic if you wanted but driving straight to Second Valley is extra." Jae-hwa comments as she topples the ball the sixth time into the basket.

"You are improving. Audrey's vigour is brushing off on you huh" I chuckle, dodging her contemplation about the weekend plans I had made.

"Vanessa, I think I told ya something!" she says, wiping away the sweat from her flushed face.

I chewed at my bottom lip, conjuring up a convincing answer. How could I just say her that I was feeling nauseous at my own house? If it had been any other weekend, I wouldn't have demanded a road trip to second valley because I would rather be down on my bed with Netflix. But this was a exception. My parents were staying home. The reason being Connor and their inability to be there when he was in the ICU.

They wanted to make it up to him and it's not that I was against it in any way but it hurt that they never thought the same about me.

I looked down at my left hand, the scar had almost dried up and would probably be invisible soon. The faint jagged line would persist though. It didn't matter, to anyone. Existence was just a make believe for me.

"We're going, Jae. Pack up your best music albums! Get excited!" I try to laugh but it comes out as shallow.

"Are you alright, V? You haven't been yourself since long. Is there anything you wanted to share?!" Jae-hwa sits down next to me on the foam couch, her tender eyes observing me carefully.

"Nothing much. I just wanted to travel, you know. Haven't been far from Adelaide since December last year." I say, shrugging.

"Bonzar!! Are we taking your car? Or should I ring up Rey?" she asks, beaming at me.

"Oh--don't bother Audrey right now. She's in the swim team council meeting." I answer, letting out an exasperated sigh.

I still couldn't understand why Audrey hadn't yet pulled up her socks and regained her place as Captain. It was sheer disappointment for most of us and she was losing credits. And at Winston Prep, it meant being in the constant threat of getting kicked out of position and power.

"I wonder what's gotten into that pea brain of Seinfeld! Pardon my French! She's just being extra mean lately." Jae-Hwa rolls her eyes and I snort.