▪︎ chapter twenty-four ▪︎

TWENTY-FOUR

TWENTY-FOUR

oxygen

_____✵_____

I have always wondered, what happens to people when they die? The theory of afterlife sure was intriguing enough, especially for someone who wanted to end her life on her own. I still regretted the fact that I was almost----about to discover the truth. I would have known, had not Connor saved me.

Now as I sit at one of the corners between the racks filled with old and fresh books in the school library, flipping the pages of my World History textbook, my mind begins to wander. What difference would it make if I wasn't here? If I didn't exist?

The young librarian spares a glance at me as she passes the shelves on her regular rounds to check if someone's up-to anything that is strictly prohibited within the school boundaries. I return my attention to the book and pretend that I am reading.

Are there really two dimensions existing in this world? If yes, why can't I just escape?

During the day, I suppose I am happy. I am with my best friends and I throw my head back in laughter, pretending to be the mean bitch who has nothing to lose. But then night falls and an unexplainable sadness grasps me----pulling me towards the black hole, and I lose my mind.

The sudden beep on my phone displays Connor's face, grinning ear to ear.

conniedavenport : can you come home? right now? SOS!

My heart begins to jump hundred miles an hour at the possibilities rushing to my brain. My already anxious mind feels like it would burst open. Why were people so vague all the time?

sourvanessaz : what the fuck is wrong now?

sourvanessaz : are you alright?

sourvanessaz : should I get a doc?!!!

conniedavenport : hey hey! i am fine! stop texting me and come home asap.

Without a second thought, I pick myself up from the wooden floor of the library, stashing my books hastily into the backpack and not bothering enough to maintain the silence, I run out of the building.

My lungs would collapse if I didn't stop now. I had attracted much attention as I exited school before time, not that anyone would bother to ask except make up absurd theories for weekly gossip.

I had been driving rash, skipped the red traffic lights once and now I almost dodged a car.

It would be so much easier if Connor just told me over the phone what was going on. But my step brother was as adamant as me.