▪︎ chapter twenty-five ▪︎

TWENTY-FIVE

TWENTY-FIVE

destruction

_____✵_____

warning : smoking causes cancer.

"Just one more drag, it hurts less than my current situation Zeke" I whine.

"I see you have a fascination for Marlboro cigarettes, huh?" Ezekiel let's out a chuckle as he hands me another one---the fifth one in a row, this evening.

"I have a fascination for self-destruction." I state blankly, releasing a strawberry flavored puff of smoke.

"What exactly happened?" he asks, shifting a little to lean on the concrete wall.

"Cleveland, I came here to forget---not remember why I am sad!" I snap at him and he gives me a forlorn look, averting his gaze back to the vermilion tinted clouds flailing across the cerulean sky.

I don't have the energy to head home. Last night, dinner was unusually quiet. 'Awkward' would be a perfect term. Since my parents stay home only once in a blue moon, I could survive the night. I knew they'd be off to work the next morning and I will have better things to do than eavesdrop on heated, mysterious arguments.

Ezekiel had wanted to meet up after school and I wanted to smoke a joint. This terrace, least visited by humans on top a construction building was 'our' place. It used to be a hide-out in childhood, and now --- a place to bury feelings.

"I need to go." he says, breaking the silence.

"Why? I thought you wanted to talk or something-"

"No, just wanted to meet. I need to finish my homework." he smiles before picking up his backpack and turning to leave.

I look around, the absolute emptiness coming at me. It eats me up. Every single time.

The sky has turned amethyst purple now, ablaze with stars and a crescent moon. I have to go too-- for Connor.

"Don't lean on that railing, it's loose."

I recognize the voice even before I turn back to face him.

"I don't care if I fall, and you know it." I say, without moving from my position.

"It would take me some time to catch you since this is a six-storeyed building." he says plainly and I snort.

"Alright. And who do you think you are, Edward Cullen?" I ask, finally walking over to him. He raises an eyebrow in question.

"Come on, Ian---you make appearances out of nowhere!!" I roll my eyes.

"Just so you know, this construction building is under Eastwood and Co. " he shrugs.

"That doesn't give enough explanation for the CEO roaming about an abandoned terrace." I retort.

"Abandoned?!!! What are you doing here---oh" he stops speaking as his lips press to a thin line and an unexplained emotion flashed across his eyes.

"What?"

"Smoking? I ran across Ezekiel on my way up." he says, looking at the ground where the cigarette butts lie.

"Uh---yeah. Do you have a problem?" I chew at my bottom lip, my stomach making knots.

"Does that matter?" he asks in a small voice.

"No, since it's your building." I shrug.

"If that's what you mean, professionally, I don't allow smoking here. I'll tell the workers to put up a sign or something." He states as coldly as possible, walking towards the door.

It felt like a gunshot through my heart. How could his words effect me like this? It's not like I ever bothered anyone's existence. But he ----

"Are you going to hate me now?" I blurt out, immediately cursing myself for not controlling my mouth.

His emerald eyes meet mine again, this time a little longer and he looked bemused.

"All this time, I was trying to eliminate the hate you have for me. Funnily, you think I'll hate you? For what? You're the one catalysing your destruction." He says and the sentences echo in my ears.

"I'm not----Ian, it just helps me null my thoughts. I am trapped in this tunnel of darkness that never ends. And Zeke, he just supplies me with the only things keeping me a little sane." I was heaving, feeling the urgency to validate my point.

"Vanessa, calm down, you're sweating like crazy! Come sit here!"

I nearly lose my balance but he somehow manages to help me sit upright on the jagged edge of concrete.

My stomach hurt. Realization hits me like a truck. Whatever Ian just said was nothing but the truth.

"Vanessa, I remember you saying me that you have trouble breathing inside that house of yours. Have you ever perceived that you yourself are reducing your chances to breathe?" he says softly, holding me in his arms as I nod.

"I'm sorry."

"Say that to yourself." he kisses my forehead.

"My parents, they are hiding something. And I feel helpless that it's almost impossible for me to find out what---" I sigh.

"You will know, eventually, if it's something you should know."

"Connor needs me, I should go. He has still not completely recovered. And he wants to play again!" I groan in frustration.

"Speaking of which, Principal Seinfeld's son has joined the team in place of Connor." Ian says and I snap my head back in surprise.

"What did you just say? Wesley Seinfeld joined the team? The boy who was rejected by the sports council --- no this is definitely not as clean as it seems. Connor was hit for a reason." I say, standing up, the storm building up inside me.

"Vanessa, we don't have enough evidence to make random accusations." Ian mutters, running fingers through his cropped brown hair.

"We'll get evidence. But no one gets to mess with Vanessa Davenport."

_____✵_____

A/N : Drama and spice? Check!
Well, I hope y'all can view the picture / gifs on the top because I load one in every chapter.
Also, chapter dedicated to Aishamgb

- Mia.