▪ chapter six ▪

SIX

SIX

deep waters

_____✵_____

I was halfway through my Latin class when the Public Address system at Winston Preparatory cackles to life. Mrs. Ramirez turns back from the whiteboard to look at the class. Her wavy grey hair falls to her temples as she shakes her head in annoyance. Interruptions in the midst of teaching important lessons were never acceptable by this lady, no matter how urgent the announcement was.

'Students of the Senior Year are hereby called to the Swimming Area for witnessing the Fifty Meters Fastest Butterfly Stroke. Teachers from respective classes shall accompany the students. The competition starts at eight forty-five sharp. We expect a patient audience. Thank you.'

Principal Seinfeld's plummy voice echoes through the silent halls. It was quite a surprise for most of us because swimming competitions were never usually held in winters. That too, in the month of July. It was already eight thirty, I will be seeing Audrey in about fifteen minutes.

"Do you think Seinfeld's gone nuts?" Kim Jae-Hwa asks me from behind my desk.

"Probably. Weird things are happening ever since Senior year started." I say, shrugging.

My classmates were moving out of the room, hot discussions already in progress because every single person here in Winston Prep knew Mermaid Audrey Greer. I quickly slid my notebooks inside my bag and walked out with Jae. We could still hear Mrs. Ramirez complaining to herself that how little priority the students gave to learning.

"Let's go watch our best friend win" Jae-Hwa grins at me.

"Well, that's obvious. I wonder who's competing her" I say, rolling my eyes.

The stadium was pretty much full but finding a place in the first row, when your best friend's the Swim Team Captain, isn't hard. Jae-Hwa and I wave out to Audrey who was warming up in the vicinity. In her aquamarine blue one-piece swimsuit, she looked elegant. There were four of them in the contest including Audrey. I was acquainted with them. One of them was Noah Foster and the other a blonde chick called Jennifer. But when my eyes met the third opponent, I internally cringed. What the heck was Ian Eastwood up to?!

His toned abdomen muscles flexed as he stretched. The prominent veins on his arms, the tattoo of a flying bird close to his V-line...everything was so appealing. For a split second, maybe it was just me, but I guess our eyes met. He turns his gaze away in an instant and I feel my cheeks burning. The morning in the backseat of his car flashed in my mind and there I was, fidgeting and nervous.

"What's wrong with you Vanessa? Are you alright?" Jae asks me, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Yeah I'm fine...just feeling warm." I say, smiling slightly.

"WARM? It's freaking cold in here. Hey? Are you sure you ain't sick?" Jae-Hwa now had her full concentration on me. Oh fuck, why did I just say that? Now I'm raising more suspicions.