▪︎ chapter fifteen ▪︎

FIFTEEN

FIFTEEN

surprise

_____✵_____

If anyone asked me what I hated the most in this world right now, I'd say: having to choose between two shades of pink. Upon Jae-Hwa and Audrey's insistence, I have to wear a 'pretty pink' dress for my birthday. I frown at my reflection in the trial room floor-to-ceiling mirror and let out a groan. I was holding up a subtle pink top with some intricate designs on the neck and collar while the other one in my left hand was a neon pink tube dress reaching up to mid thigh. This is an existential crisis!

"Are you done yet, Vanessa?" Audrey knocks softly on the door and I make a face.

"You guys seriously are overdoing this. I could just slip on something like an LBD and nobody would even doubt if it's old or new" I say as I struggle to pull on my jeans back to my long hind limbs. It was not like I had some model-figure, the only thing I was proud of was my abdomen which was as flat as a pancake. The rest, just average skinny!

"Well, it's your nineteenth birthday V! Your last year as a teenager, so it is definitely important no matter what argument you gonna put up." Jae-Hwa snorts from the other side of the door.

I thought to myself for a moment, she was probably right. This was my last teen year and I had a cherished desire to celebrate it a little differently but, the universal truth is: it's gonna be just the same!

"If I decide on this subtle pink top, what should I wear to cover my legs?" I ask as I come out of the trial room, sweating and already exhausted.

"A black pencil skirt would work just fine!" Audrey states as she pulls me towards the bottom wear section.

We had been in this Versace Exclusive showroom for about two hours, fishing through loads of clothing and accessories. It was obvious, when it came to dressing up I wasn't ready to make compromises but the problem was, I suddenly have all interest in shopping. I couldn't find that fervor in me as it was maybe, four months ago. That's what chronic depression does to you, I have read in one of those online health magazines last night. But I was still unsure about everything, unsure about me and my cause of being melancholic.

"Hello?!" Jae snaps her fingers before my eyes, bringing me back to the present where I was standing before a long rack of black skirts.

"You're a size 6, aren't you?" The saleswoman named Hailey glances at my waist and an approving smile appears on her plum lips.

"Right...can we just skip the trial part?" I look at my best friends with pleading eyes because going into that small room can make anyone feel claustrophobic!

"Alright, Versace sizes are just perfect. You don't need to doubt that, missy!" Hailey repeats what she has been trained to tell every customer.

When we were out on the street, it was almost eight by my watch. The wind was sharp with some microscopic particles of snow mingled in it. I inhaled deeply, taking in this typical scent you get in downtown Adelaide. The roads are lined with thrift stores and expensive designer showrooms. My stomach gives a sudden rumble.

"Girls, we need to eat something NOW! I can't bear this hunger anymore" Jae-Hwa exclaims, speaking my mind.

After an episode of eating, rather...devouring like monsters at a quaint little restaurant, the three of us finally reached home. As Audrey screeches the car in front of my house, the first thing that I notice was the darkness looming about the entire mansion. This wasn't at all a usual sight! It was fucking ten pm and how was it possible everyone has already went to bed?

I dash across the street with the shopping bags after bidding a quick 'see you soon' to my friends and unlock the front door with the spare key I was luckily carrying tonight. Where the hell was everyone?

"Gabriella! Connor! I'm back! Where are y'all?" I call out at the top of my voice but it only echoed back to me. I fumble in the darkness, the shopping bags occupying both my hands. Now I was struggling to find the switches because I normally never did this sort of stuff like lighting up the living room. Even the kitchen was deserted.

Somehow! I managed to walk up to my room with the candles in the staircase aiding my vision. This was so not done! I knew my parents were out but what about my brother?! No wonder, I couldn't even find Gabriella.

Switching on the lights of my bedroom, I heave a sigh and collapse down on the bed. My limbs were aching from all that tiredness shopping brings. But it wasn't in my luck to just sleep right now. I had to shower and dress up for the party. We were going to this club: ECLECTIC. Though the invitations are really limited because duh, I'm a people-hater...but I internally knew most of my classmates gonna show up anyway. Not that I cared *eye roll*.

Connor's phone has been going on voicemail and I unfortunately didn't save Gabriella's number. I thought of calling my parents but that thought lasted for only a fraction of a second...okay, maybe two.

Giving up on trying to find out what the heck was actually going on and assuming that Connor was at some friend's house (though I was getting worried sick), I went in for a shower.

I was soaked up in vanilla bubbles and enjoying the luxury to the fullest when the faint ringing of my phone makes me jolt. I wrap a towel, tiptoe out of the shower stall and pick up the phone. It was Gabriella, the caller identification app displayed.

"Where the hell did you die? And where is Connor?" I boom into the speaker.

"Vanessa, my dear...I thought you'd be worried...Uh, Connor wanted to go out for a walk after dinner and I had to accompany him. I am so sorry for not informing, err...we'll be back within an hour." She speaks in her timid voice and I sigh.

"That's fine. Be back home soon..y'all scared me" I roll my eyes and hang up, getting back to take the pleasure of my bubble bath.

I had put my blow dried hair in a half-up, half-down style. I have to admit, it made me look kind of cute. Again, not my thing but I carry on with my makeup anyway. I was a bit surprised to see how good pink looked on me, because I was wearing this color after almost two months. The pencil skirt fit perfectly, as they had claimed. I was almost finished dabbing the Victoria's Secret Night Angel perfume when I hear the doorbell. It must be Connor and Gabriella, I thought as I slip onto my glittering white stilettos.

But when I open the door of my bedroom and take a step down the stairs, the biggest surprise was in await for me....

The entire living room was glowing with scented candles and the walls adorned with fairy lights. I gasped. The whole thing was just too much of an astonishment and as I walked slowly down the flight of stairs, someone came and stood before me, extending a hand.

"Ian" I whisper, as he takes my fingers in his.

"So...are you ready to blow the candles now?" He says and for the first time, I actually grin at him because the surge of happiness was hard to handle. I gazed at his tanned skin that glimmered from the candle lights, he looked ethereal.

"Happy Birthday Vanessa!!!" A sudden cheer in the background added to my shock. I stared with parted lips as one by one: Gabriella, Connor, Audrey, Jae-Hwa and Stefan come into view.

"This is unbelievable!" I exclaim, looking up at Ian who was smiling broadly at me.

"Time to murder the cake" He wiggles his eyebrows and I chuckle.

"Yeah, but where's Ezekiel?"

_____✵_____

A/N: Was this a filler chapter? Well, kind of but definitely not the last part eh? *giggles* I am still quite stuck in a writer's block but somehow managed to pen this down. Who is ready for the next chapter? ;) (oh, don't forget to give it a VOTE) lots of love xoxo.

-Mia.