▪︎ chapter fourteen ▪︎

FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN

escape

_____✵_____

When I walk over to my usual seat in the second row of AP Mathematics, I wanted to dig my grave. Why hadnt I noticed before that I was sharing this class with Ian? And putting myself up for some embarrassment was the last thing I wanted this morning. There was a quick revision test every week and I was forever unprepared. No matter how determinedly I solved difficult calculus problems staying awake at night, I could never come to terms with the question paper that Mrs. Orji designed.

And now, he was here right behind me in the third row.. Poof!

"Why haven't I seen you before in this class? " I ask, narrowing my eyes as he gives me a smug look.

"Because I had other important stuff to do. Besides, I don't attend lectures except on days where we have a test" he shrugs.

"Well, aren't you supposed to be in detention for bunking? " I retort. The strawberry blonde girl beside Ian gives me a look as if I had asked something too obvious.

"That's none of your business" he mutters, adjusting the black Nike cap that he always wore to school.

"Why do you wear this? It isn't as if you're bald" I snort, making him glare at me.

"And why are you suddenly so interested in me? " he asks.

"Oh come on, I'm just asking " I was still having a giddy feeling in my stomach because his cologne was just too good and every time I stand near him makes me wanna breathe in the perfume a little more.

"This cap, uhm... Just to hide
my handsome face from stalkers. " he responds, loud enough for Hannah Jenkins who was sitting on the other side of the strawberry blonde to hear that and turn back. Ian seemed to exchange a quick glance with her and Hannah looked frustrated. What was that now?

"And you say that I am too full of myself?! That's like the pot calling the kettle black" I sneered.

"Can you deny the fact that you're tripping over me? " he was now leaning over his desk, an evil smirk playing on his lips.

"What---" I couldn't complete my sentence as Mrs. Orji bangs the duster on her wooden desk so noisily that I almost flinched. That was her unique way of announcing her arrival in class.

"Miss Vanessa if you'll please take your seat" the lady says, pushing her cat-eyed spectacles up the bridge of her nose. I scowl at Ian before sitting down with a huff.

As soon as Mrs. Orji hands over the sheet to me, I felt my mind go blurry. The numbers on the page appeared to dance and I began to perspire even in this freezing weather.