▪︎ chapter twenty-three ▪︎

TWENTY-THREE

TWENTY-THREE

closer

_____✵_____

As we are almost finish our plates, Audrey pats both her hands on the table top to draw our attention. Perhaps some announcement as it was appearing from the excited look on her face.

"Guys---there's a slight or maybe major relief. I just found out that the manager happens to be an acquaintance of my dad, hence we got ourselves another room. I hope there won't be any adjustment problems now." She states, sparing me a quick look.

Well, it was an enormous relief. But the question was : will I be totally kicked out of that room now?

"Vanessa is sulking all evening. What's up?" Stefan asks from beside me, face lit up in a mischievous smile.

"Don't ask." I roll my eyes, even though I was feeling gleeful inside because at least someone noticed.

"Really, am I a stranger now huh?" he chuckles, earning a heated glare from a certain guy sitting on the other side of the table.

"I think Iris can share that room with Hannah, they get along just fine." he comments, eyes still focused on me and lips pressed to a thin line.

I felt my heart do the erratic dance which it usually does when super nervous. Why is he even doing this?

"Does that mean Vanessa's sleeping with Ian?" Jae-Hwa blurts out and I swat her arm in response.

"Watch what you speak!" I huff and she stifles a laugh.

"That's sorted. I hope no-one has any more allegations" Iris says through a yawn. She looked like a kitten with twin tails swaying whenever she spoke.

I definitely had. Allegations. But of course I couldn't just state my point here. On the other hand, Hannah seemed too unbothered to even look up from her phone. As if nothing had just happened.

Everyone starts getting up, bidding each other goodnight and then slipping into the rooms. I wondered if Jae and Rey would make Stefan Cahill sleep on the couch. The thought itself made me snort.

But how do I go in? Especially since the atmosphere was too heavy now. Between the two of us.

It was past eleven o'clock when I had finally gathered up enough strength to hit the scene. Or rather, meet his forest green eyes.

He was pacing up and down the length of the room in his sweatpants and proud abs showcased. Am I really going to stay here? We are an explosive combination and I knew it. Nevertheless I closed the door behind me, clearing my throat.