▪︎ chapter seven ▪︎

SEVEN

SEVEN

bubblegum

_____✵_____

Connor was lying flat on the hospital bed wearing mint green scrubs. His eyes were shut and the heavy plaster around his head was an awful look. I sat down on the plastic stool, the creaking sound making him shift a bit. He was unconscious for more than twenty four hours, the anesthesia doing its work perfectly. I had been here constantly, with Jae-Hwa checking up on me at regular intervals. She has also managed to make me eat a cheese sandwich, not that I had any desire, but for the sake of my stomach.

I noticed the long-drawn rise and fall of his chest as I place a hand on his shoulder. I bit my lower lip hard, trying to push back the tears. Not even in my worst did I cry as much as I did over the past two days. Connor opens his eyes, a slight smile forming on his lips as he sees me.

"Sister" His voice is even feebler than I had expected. I feel my stomach lurch when I realize what the doctor had informed me after his operation. He was barred from playing soccer.

"Connor, how are you feeling?" My words come out shaky. I don't know why the fuck was I still scared.

"Better I guess. Um, I'll be released tomorrow, isn't it?" He asks and I nod.

"How did you get hurt like that?"

"I barely remember because I was speaking with the coach when the ball came and hit me. I was off the guard." He explains.

And the first thought that arises in my brain was that the ball hitting Connor might have been purposefully done. Since he was practically the only Sophomore who had made it into the school team, people were naturally resentful of him. But who would dare to do something like this, to a Davenport?

"Um....I think you should rest. I'll check on you later?" I get up, smoothing out my blue chiffon skirt. I was, to the surprise of Jae-Hwa, wearing a skirt today. Not that I had changed my opinion on colors though. I still wore a black shirt, an odd combination according to Audrey. She had come to visit me immediately after she heard about the catastrophe. Meanwhile, I hadn't seen Ian since the time when I collapsed down on the hospital floor.

But now, here he was. I was on the rooftop of the hospital building, trying to get some fresh air. I can't believe it gets so suffocating in there with a permanent gloominess sticking around. Ian was wearing a plain white t-shirt, skinny jeans and a black leather jacket. His tousled hair and tanned skin completing the view.

"Staring is kinda rude" he comments as he walks over to me. I look away into the horizon, trying to hide the probable blush creeping to my cheeks. Vanessa Davenport doesn't blush. Why was everything going contradictory when this guy was around? He leaned against the concrete wall, crossing his arms. The breeze was cold but the sun was making it a bit comfortable today.