Chapter 22

Dark Moon woke up the next morning refreshed. Shadow Slayer was still sleeping soundly. Dark Moon then heard a crash what the!? Dark Moon thought. Dark Moon ran out of her cave, a wolf was stuck in a bush a few Foxes were helping the crashed wolf out of the bush.
"Fang Crystal! I said do NOT crash, not immediately crash into the next bush you see!" Griffin Wing shouted from the air
"Im, not the only one Yang is around here somewhere!"Fang crystal shouted back
"Yes sadly he crashed into a tree…" Griffin wing said shaking her head.
"Fang Crystal!?" Dark said
"Heh sorry still getting ahold of my wings" Fang crystal said finally free leaping up into the air
"See ya!" Fang shouted, flying up to her mother. Fang Crystal has wings!? Dark Moon thought tilting her head. Fang Crystal's crystal wings glimmered in the sunlight as she talked with her mom.
“Hey Dark Moon.” Ice called. “I’m getting my name tomorrow.”
    “Well that’s good. I thought you guys would never become protectors and hunters.”
    “I know right!” Ice exclaimed his fur pricking with excitement. Just then Eagle Heart leaped onto the fox-stone.
    “All foxes gather!” He called. “Ice. You have earned a rightful place along our pack as a great Protector. I give you from this point on your new Protector name, Ice Shadow!” The foxes cheered as Eagle Heart touched Ice Shadows nose.
    “Now.” Eagle Heart said leaping back up to the Fox-stone. “I have told everyone that Rain, Mud, and Slate cannot be named until their training ends at the second year. But we have a demon lurking in our forest. We will need more Protectors and Hunters in a time of crisis like this.” Eagle Heart finished. “Now as I said come here Mud, Rain, and Slate. You have trained for one year and many months. But not two years. I give you your names now. Rain. You have earned a rightful place along our pack as a great Healer. I give you the power to seek in Silver Pack. To find answers, and see who you truthfully are. Now I give your new name from this point on you will be known as, Rain Fall!” The foxes cheered. They all knew a healers ceremony was different from a protector or hunters ceremony. Dark Moon looked over to where Shadow Slayer was sitting howling out Rain Falls name. Dark Moon felt a wave of love come over her. Shadow Slayer had done nothing but protect her and love her ever since they met. Eagle Heart scilenced the crowd. “Mud. You have earned a rightful place along our pack as a great Protector. I give you from this point on your new Protector name, Mud Tail!” The foxes cheered again and Dark Moon saw Heather Breeze looking to the side not cheering. Why isn’t she cheering for her one and only son!? Dark moon thought. Dark moon walked over to her. “Hey why arent you cheering for Mud tail!?” Dark Moon asked.
    “He’s a discrace to my family. He was in love with a coyote.” Heather Breeze said coldly.
“Wait. he was in love with a coyote!?” Dark Moon said her eyes widening.
    “Of course i’m the only one to know but you.” Heather Breeze said. Heather Breezees eyes started welling up with tears. “There she goes.” She said as Eagle Heart beckoned Slate closer.
    “You have earned a rightful place along our pack as a great Hunter. I give you from this point on your new hunter name, Slate Fur!” Heather Breeze cheered loudest of all and Dark Moon knew Slate Fur was her favorite pup. My mother never had favorites… but of course she did. Wait. No. Never. She never had favorites after her favorite son died. Oh I was only a pup that never even opened her eyes when Thorn died. My oldest sibling. You know, I never really thought about him until now. Huh. Well ain’t that funny. Dark Moon thought walking over to Shadow Slayer. I will never have favorites with my pups. Dark Moon nuzzled Shadow Slayer as the foxes cried out the four newly named foxes. Tree Tails new pups were yelping with hunger as they slid back into the caretakers den with Tree Tail.

Later that night Dark Moon fell asleep with Shadow Slayer by her side. Dark Moon woke up in a field of flowers. Her father Lion Scar was walking into the flowers. He turned around.
    “Make sure Pebble Fur isn’t too upset my daughter.” he said before disappearing.
    “Wait dad! What do you mean!?” Dark Moon yelled. But he was already gone. Dark Moon sat up in her cave. Lion Scar! She ran to her parents den. Pebble Fur was snoring soundly. But Lion Scar wasn’t even breathing. “No.” Dark Moon whispered. Dark Moon prodded Pebble Fur awake. “He’s gone. I saw him in my dream.