(3) Entrance Exams Pt. 2

Shinso POV:

    We were only a half-hour into the entrance exams when things started to get serious. I've heard rumors about UA's famous exam bots, but until then, I had always thought they were lies used to scare students into backing out. Of course, it couldn't be that easy.

     Most of the robots gave a small number of points added to our total score, but they were also only moving targets. Other than slashing around the fake city, they had no way of fighting back against us. That being said, they weren't easy to take down. And if the small machines were no joke, then the fifty-foot-tall aberration was going to be the challenge of a lifetime.

    This last robot was not one that anyone in the exams attempted to fight alone. My guess was that was the only reason I agreed to help this reckless girl take it down. After taking one look at the massive mock villain, we both knew that our only hope would be. . . teamwork.

    Lucky me that my Quirk couldn't work against non-human opponents. When fighting one on one, I was unstoppable. However, times like this that pinned me against mindless objects caused me to fall behind. Big shocker, I know. I had to expect something challenging like this from UA. After all, getting into the best school in the country wasn't gonna be a damn cakewalk.

    But I didn't come this far as to not make it in. I wanted to be a hero unlike any of these guys, and failure was not an option by any means. I was gonna win.

    I had to win.

    I could only hope the pink-haired girl I was teaming up with had the same determination. I didn't know how well she stood against the other robots, but I had faith in someone who brought a suitcase full of gadgets and weapons.

    She rummaged through her bag as the robot got closer. Time was ticking by, so I silently urged the tanner girl to get moving soon. She threw to me a round shield the size of my forearm. I took a second to figure out how to strap it on before she was throwing me more handheld gadgets.

      "Those will explode under pressure," she told me, and I had to act like that wasn't terrifying to hear. I kept the handful of bombs in my grasp while she pulled out a pole with a giant blade at the end. She pulled levers and buttons on her scythe, and I looked back to our target.

     "What's the plan? We need to get moving," I told her. Mystery Girl gave me a nod and threw her scythe over her shoulder.

    "Just follow my lead, and," she started to say until the machine swung one of its arms down from above to obliterate the ground beneath us. "RUN!" Taking her advice, I took off.

    The robot had us cornered between fame city buildings, but I wasn't here to give up. Anytime the machine hit buildings, concrete, or anything that caused debris to fall down, I threw up my shield as protection. The girl stayed on the opposite side of the street while firing her own bombs that launched from the end of her scythe.

    I looked up to see the robot not fight back as much, and that worried me. The square-shaped top of it looked down at her but its arm was starting to raise.

    "Look out!" I warned her and watched as she stopped attacking and ran back. Another arm of the robot was thrown down until there wasn't much of the street left.

    The girl had ducked behind a flipped-over car, so I ran over to see if she was alright. I wasn't worried, but if she got knocked out this early then I surely wouldn't get the points off this robot villain.

    "Crap!" The girl cursed to herself, looking down at her giant scythe. "I only have five shots left. What about you?" Until then, I had completely forgotten about the five bombs given to me. I held out my hand to show her that I still had all of mine left.