(8) The Adventures of an Orphan

It was lunch, but I oddly wasn't hungry. I never really needed to eat since my body was made of pure light, but I enjoyed the comfort foods now and then. Although, I was much too stressed to enjoy it then.

    I was sitting with Mei while her voice just blended in with the background chatter of UA's massive cafeteria. My eyes were fixed at the forms Power Loader dropped off as the bold black letters taunted me.

    "Rose."

    It's not exactly easy to get a parent to sign a school form when they don't even know you're enrolled there.

    "Rose...?"

    I've forged their signature before in middle school, but this one called for a phone number, and I wasn't great at impersonating my dad over the phone.

    "Rose!" Mei called out loudly, waving her hands in front of my face.

    "Aahh— what‽" Her sudden interjection startled me and snapped my mind out of a nervous daydream.

    "What's wrong?" She asked and tilted her head to me. As someone, I spent most of my time at UA with, I guess it wasn't hard to believe that she sensed something was off with me.

    "What do you mean?" I asked, trying to play it off as if everything was alright.

    "Well, I was just talking about the mechanics of a sniper rifle, and you didn't seem the least bit excited!" Mei waited for me to explain myself, being utterly baffled about my reticence.

    She's got me there.

    "Okay. Yeah," I sighed. "It's just these stupid forms." My head rested in my hands as the hopeless thoughts ran through my mind once again.

    They can't find out I'm in UA. Not yet.

     "Well, why don't you just talk to the professor about it? I'm sure he'd love to help." She added and finished up her lunch. "And if that doesn't work, I'm sure that if we work together, we can build a robot replica of your family!" My friend laughed to herself as the logistics of the scheme set in.

    Seeing her be so energetic about finding the most outrageous way to help let me laugh during the stressful moment. Though, I was appreciative of her offer. "That's insane."

    "You call it insanity; I call it inspiration!" Mei Hatsume was a big ball of crazy, but I was glad to have that big ball of crazy as my ally.

    The bell rang again, and students of UA moved from the hallways into their afternoon classes. I pondered about what to do about the form for the rest of the day until I realized my only option was to ask for help. Which was not something I was looking forward to doing.

    "I gotta check on something real quick. So I'll see you tomorrow," I said to Mei as she walked out of our last class with me. I waved bye to her then stood outside the 1-H classroom, waiting.

    Come on, Rose. . . just toughen up and walk in there.

     I used all my strength to knock on the metal door with my equally metal arm. Professor Q's cheery "come in" welcomed me inside. I ducked my head in and asked, "Is this a bad time?"

    "Not at all." Q waved me in as he pushed aside the little robot he was working on— or with. "What can I do for you, Ms. Rosemary?"

    I stood by the desk and sheepishly held onto the paper. "I needed to ask a favor of you with no follow-up questions."

    "Now, that's the kind of nonsensical demand from a child that I became a teacher to witness," he chuckled to himself and held out his hand for the paper. I handed it to him and looked down while he read it. "So you're wanting me to sign this for you? I'd assume something like that to be highly illegal. Then again, it's nothing more than a permission slip." Q shrugged and quickly signed it.